What's new

Some assistance please, audio question... (1 Viewer)

amir-hk240

Auditioning
Real Name
amir
When my TV is off and my reciever is on with digital cable as the input, the reciever reads in dolby digital. Once I turn my TV on, it switches to Dolby PL. I like dolby digital better and want that to be the signal when I turn on the tv.
I have an HDMI cable from my cable box to my tv and an optical cable from the cable box to the reciever. Thanks for your help guys.

I have a Samsung HLS DLP and time warner box.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The receiver is decoding whatever signal the box is sending. Most non-HD TV only has Pro-Logic (some HBO and other pay channels being the exception). Most primetime HD is DD, but not all HD is DD. If you do not have an HDTV and HD Cable Box, your DD selection is extremely limited.

amir-hk240

Auditioning
Real Name
amir
sorry, i have an hd cable box and hdtv. the program tested while tv is off is in dolby digital, same program as when i turn the tv on.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Do you also have the analog audio outs (R/W) connected from the TV to the receiver? If so, this may be overriding the digital somehow. Other than that, I'm stumped.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
First, a vent.

This whole "dolby digital = 5.1 sound" thing drives me nuts.

Dolby Digital supports everything from mono to 5.1 sound. It's the only sound format supported by atsc, and probably qam as well.

Some programs are stereo only-- Dolby Digital 2.0. Some have fully discrete sound-- Dolby Digital 5.1 ..

However, certain boxes may uncompress the the sound into PCM, which is stereo.

The cable box may be decoding the dolby digital sound, and decoding it into PCM, and passing that decoded signal into your receiver. The question is "why?" There's probably some setting that controls how the sound is sent into your TV via HDMI.

1. Cable Box is turned on starts outputting dolby digital sound to receiver through spdif.
2. TV is turned, on and handshakes with the cable box.
3. Cable Box notices that it's supposed to output PCM sound to the TV, so it does so.
4. The spdif interface starts mirroring what's being sent via hdmi-- PCM.

So, check a setting or two, or at least tell us the model of the cable box. I can read a manual, and so can most others on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks