Some assistance needed please, my reciever keeps switching to "Protect" mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Alright here's the situation, I just spent the weekend redoing my HT room and I just got done reconnecting all of my componants, I have only the rear speakers connected right now, I haven't finished yet, and after I hooked all my equipment back up I popped in a dvd just to check for sound from the rears. Now, when I turned the reciever up to about 55, my usual volume, my reciever clicked and went into 'protect' mode on me.

I realize that this some sort of safety feature in the reciever, but I don't know why it's kicking now? This is my fear however, I recut the oxydized ends off of my speaker wire and while cutting the jacket off the end of the wires, I lost some strands of wire. I pulled out the strands that I accidentally cut loose but may have left some their when I twisted the strands to a fine point.

Is this causing some sort of backlash of power to my reciever perhaps? Or does the reciever know that I don't yet have the fronts and center connected? This is strangs guys.

My reciever is the Sony STR DE485 btw.

Thanks.

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

John, it sounds like one or two (all it would take is one) loose strands may be shorting the output of your receiver. Check very carefully that there are no small wires going between the + and - terminals. The easiest would be to remove the speaker wires, clean out the posts and do the wires again.

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Thanks Paul,
    after hooking the rest of my speakers back up I haven't encountered the problem again and I also made sure that no wiring was touching, it wasn't. I'm not taking any chances though, this weekend i'm going to pick up a couple of spools of fresh wire and rewire my whole room. It may be overkill but I want to completely remove the old wire from the equasion.

4. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

I was having a similar problem and I couldn't figure out what it was. I realized that on top of my entertainment center, where my bookshelves sit, were two power sources for the little light in the bookshelves and they were sending extra signal to my receiver. Even when they were completely unplugged, my speaker wire was picking up power from them so I had to move my speakers a little further away and make sure all the wiring was no where near each other. My girlfriend is still complaining about the fact that she can't plug in her little bookshelf lights. I have been trying to explain to her that there is a price for good sound. She's not buying it!