What's new

Some advice please. (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I wont to upgrade my current sub & amp (replacing my Dayton DVC 15" & PE 250watt plate amp). My sono is a 220 liter tuned at around 17hz With what I have in it know. If you need sizes it measures at 48"length by 20" dim using a 6" by 24" flared port.
I have tried using winsid & bassboxpro but either I'm not doing something right or my computer isn't compatible with the programs because I cannot get my computer to load them right, So this is why I'm after your help.
What I am after is just getting a little more output & possible being able to play a little lower & cleaner. There is no way I can modify the enclosure other than making it a little shorter if necessary or changing the driver end cap ( I'll explain).
Ok that said I was wonting to go with the AV15" & a Adire HS500 amp, witch I was told before should sound pretty good in my enclosure as is. But I also seen the Acoustic Visions has there Maelstrom 18" on sale right now so it got my attion. My question is witch of these two drivers would be a better choice in my enclosure or would either of them out perform my current set up by much? I would like to be able to just drop something in & go but I can easily change the endcap to accommodate the Maelstrom if it would be the better choice but I don't know what would.
I would just build another enclosure but this is kinda a last minute decision that I didn't think I was gonna do until now, & I just spent a good couple of days veneering my sono in oak veneer so I don't wont to change it.
I would be grateful for any advice anyone could offer. Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Joe

I e-mailed you the simulated response of an AV15 in a 168 liter enclosure tuned to 19.5 hertz last night. I sent it to the e-mail address you have listed on the forum. Check your e-mail. What I sent you is a gif file off of Unibox v4.02.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Greg, I did get your email but there is no file of any kind in it, just text. I responded back to your email earlier. Sorry I was not aiming at you I just cant believe how snobby this forum is getting. Before you could post a question & you would get tons of responses in no time, but now your ( or maybe its just me for some reason) lucky to get anything from anyone.
Or I have had a couple crappy responses of ( go find the answer yourself kind of thing ) but I always thought that that was what this forum is supposed to be about, that is helping others out with problems & questions.
But maybe I'm looking in the wrong forum anymore because it just seams to me that things on this forum have changed quite a bit lately, & no one is willing to help you out at all.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Joe, in the future, you may want to word the topic more specific to your situation.

"Some advice please" doesn't quite cut it.

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Joe

You may want to make sure that your PE 250 watt amp has the bass boost defeated (if your amp has bass boost). The bass boost would make your EBS box sound boomy. Your current box models very well on Unibox. Unibox indicates that your 220 liter box with a 6" X 24" port is tuned to 18.5 hertz. This is an EBS tuning. The response on your sub actually peaks at 90 hertz and slopes down from there. You are getting great output at 20 hertz, but less than 90 hertz.

Your 220 liter box tuned to 22 hertz gets more exciting. You get lots more output at 22 hertz and above. At the expense of output below about 20 hertz. Tuning your box to 22 hertz would require trimming your 6" vent to 16 inches. You may want to try this. However, my recommendation is made solely on the simulated response of Unibox. Also, if you tune your box to 22 hertz you may want to consider a subsonic filter so you don't overexcurse your woofer below the Fb of 22 hertz.

You may also be having trouble with your room. When I first built my sub I was having trouble with boomy bass. Turns out my room had a 45 hertz peak of about 12 db. Not good. I used a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to equalize my sub to tame the room mode.

I will try to e-mail you the Unibox sim of your PE sub tuned to 18.5 hertz and 22 hertz so you can take a look.

Good luck

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Greg, I did get you second email but I cant make out the graft, its got sections missing all over it, like someone put stripes through it. I don't know if it is just something with the file type you are sending or if its just my computer, but thanks again for trying. I don't know if you understood me fully though on what I am after. I will be replacing my PE amp & Dayton sub for the Maelstrom or AV15 & using the HS500 to drive what ever one would suit my enclosure best.
As for right now my amp dose not have the boost on it, & I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds now as is, but I wont to go one step farther & have that extra bit there if I wont it. The biggest reason I wont to upgrade is that the few times that I really wont to crank something that has some really strong bass in it my sub is just about at its limit. I wont something that will still take a little more if I feel like really pushing it. A good example would be( The Haunting DTS ES ) I love to use this as a demo movie but at high levels its really pushing the sub hard & I would like to squeeze just a little more out of it without worrying about anything.
I don't know maybe I'm going the wrong route as I said it dose sound really good, but I would just like more there if I wont it.

Patrick, Sorry if I offended you as it seams like I may have by your response. But really I don't think it would have mattered what I would have posted. I think I still would have gotten the same response no matter what as like I said it seams like everyone here is getting kinda snobby or one sided. And I'm sorry if that dose offend anyone here as that may not really be the case, but I feel like it is. I just feel like this forum has done a 180 since I first started lurking here, going from being very helpful to getting answers like ( hay you should know where to look go find it yourself ) & I think that is just a bunch of crap.
But hay thats just my .02 I hope its just me & not really the case but it sure feels that way...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks