What's new

some advice on a low quality to mid quality setup (1 Viewer)

slreno

Auditioning
Real Name
steve reynolds
ok here is what i have so far.. will be here thrusday.. i ordered the onkyo tx-nr616 avr, i also ordered the new svs pb1000 sub woofer. i also order the klipsch quintet 5 surround speakers. i know i am going to be missing a spectrum there of about 80hz to 120hz. but the guy at svs informed me it would be ok and sound amazing with what i have .. i didnt have a ton of money and researched and bought the best i could afford. now saying that i have a couple hundred bucks left and have run across a set of Klipsch Synergy F10 floor speakers for 100 bucks!!. they are a bit older but not dinosours yet. what would i gain by buying these and using these as front speakers and then using the 2 extra quintets i would end up having extra as the surrounds as a 7.1 setup! would it make a huge difference by doing this. and is it going to sound ok if i dont buy those synergy f1 speakers? thanks steve

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would jump on that in a heartbeat... Here is how the bass management would work... The fronts could bet set 60 or 80hz(either is correct...even 50 if the 616 offers 50). The sub can't be set any lower than 80hz(shouldn't really be anyway...so no need for option) So...from 80hz to whatever the surrounds/center are set...the F10 would cover it. My opinion, don't pass go, go straight to your closest ATM.

slreno

Auditioning
Real Name
steve reynolds
ok done! got it a bit ago. they are clean as can be. i thought these f10's where old as the hills but from what it looks like klipsch is still making and selling these. anyway got a new looking set for 100 bucks. cant wait for the rest of the equipment to get here to hook it up.. i got the onkyo avr and the f'10's hooked up now and these speakers sound awesome by themselves i can imagine when i get the rest of the quintet surrounds and the sub hooked up. should be pretty sweet for what i have into it. thanks for the advice and i am glad i bought these f10's. thanks again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The F10 actually has a -3 at 39hz(lower than I expected), so you can set the crossover anywhere from 40-80... Any choice between there is "correct"...it comes down to your ears and the bass response you want. But having three speakers handling 40-80 will even out the mid-bass. You can even play with the sub from 80-100. Whatever you choose...and like "best"...is the correct setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks