What's new

Some Additional AC/DC Rerelease News (1 Viewer)

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Here's some additional news on the upcoming rereleases. Unfortunately, it makes no mention of possible high resolution releases:

Epic Records, which recently signed AC/DC following its tenures with the Atlantic and EastWest labels, will begin remastering and reissuing the quintet's catalog next month. The first rereleases, are due February 18, including 1976's High Voltage (with liner notes by rock journalist Murray Engelheart), 1979's Highway To Hell (liner notes by Ernie Welch), 1980's Back In Black (liner notes by Rolling Stone magazine's David Fricke), 1981's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (liner notes by Rolling Stone David Wild), and both the single- and double-disc editions of 1992's AC/DC Live (liner notes by Don Kaye).

On March 25, Epic will reissue 1977's Let There Be Rock, 1978's Powerage, 1981's For Those About To Rock We Salute You, 1986's Who Made Who, and 1990's The Razor's Edge.

Epic will release the rest of AC/DC's catalog later in the spring, although EastWest will retain rights to 1995's Ballbreaker and 2000's Stiff Upper Lip.

Besides the new liner notes, all of the albums will feature remastered sound, expanded track information, and more photos, as well as a feature dubbed ConnecteD, which will give buyers access to a special website with additional extra features.

Meanwhile, Image Entertainment is planning a February 18 release for Rock Masters, a 42-minute DVD from a 1977 AC/DC concert at the Hippodrome in London that features "Let There Be Rock," "Problem Child," "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be," and "Rocker."

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I am a pretty big fan, but not a band historian.

Did Dirty Deeds really come out after Back in Black?

Bon was pretty dead by that point.

BGL

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian, Dirty Deeds...Done Dirt Cheap came out in 1976, while Back in Black was released in 1980.

KrisM

Second Unit
I think Dirty Deeds was released in Australia(maybe the U.K. as well?) in 1976 but wasn't released worldwide until 1981.
AC/DCs early releases are a bit confusing. There are two versions of High Voltage. The original Aussie release has alot of songs from '74 Jailbreak.
I hope Epic will release some of these titles on SACD, or better yet have the these announced titles released as Hybrids.

Regards
KrisM

David R. Hendrickson

Stunt Coordinator
correct about DD, aussie in '76, worldwide in '81.

parts of aussie TNT
+ parts of aussie High Voltage
= ROW (rest of world) High Voltage.

the ROW DDDDC doesn't have R.I.P.

the ROW Let There Be Rock doesn't have Crabsody In Blue.

the german vinyl of Powerage has Cold Hearted Man. what's also cool about this german pressing is that while the rest of the songs are the same as the regular release, they're different takes.

'74 Jailbreak is sort of a "best of" the early stuff...

most of the aussie albums had different covers too...

KrisM

Second Unit
It is too bad all these songs were not included on the Bonfire boxset. I wouldn't mind hearing them, along with the other takes.

Regards
KrisM

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
There is a new 17 CD box set listed for preorder on Amazon that is supposed to be all Australian versions of the early albums. Unfortunately, there is not a complete song listing to verify for sure whether some of the things mentioned above are included or not.

I'd be really interested in tracking down the alternate version of Powerage. Anybody know where I could find it on CD?

Thanks,

Dan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I thought my Dirty Deeds CD has a copyright date of 1976. I'll have to check.

David R. Hendrickson

Stunt Coordinator

never seen it on cd. vinyl only. besides, it's not like they're different songs, just slightly different cues in the vocals and guitar work. if you've listened to Powerage enough (my favorite ac/dc album) you can pick up on the differences. i think mine's on red wax to boot. :emoji_thumbsup:

KrisM

Second Unit
I'm kind of in the middle about Bonfire. I like the live stuff. I already owned it but the boxset has much better sound than my previous copy. I like the extra tracks but there obviously could have been more of them. And as far as Back In Black is concerned, why bother? Anybody willing to shell out the bucks for this kind of box already has Back In Black. When I bought Bonfire, the BIB included was my sixth copy. I would have been happier with more unreleased tracks or a cheaper price. I have played the BIB from the box once.
Its cool that others like Powerage as much as I do. My favorite Bon Scott-era disc.
Keith, my Dirty Deeds has 1976 as well, but it also mentions that Rocker and Problem Child were previously released on If You Want Blood(1978) and Let There Be Rock(1977), indicating that Dirty Deeds came out after 1978. They list it as 1976 because it was recorded and released in Australia in 1976. The rest of the world got it later.

Regards
KrisM

Regards
KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks