What's new

[Solved] Chromecast Ultra won't work with Denon X3300W AVR, but works with everything else... (1 Viewer)

Azaraith

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I've got my system set up as such:

TV --> Wallplate --> 50ft HDMI cable --> Wall plate --> AVR

TV is a KS8000, AVR is a Denon X3300W.

Inputs are as such:

1. Chromecast Ultra
  2. Xbox One (only shows 1080p option in display options)
  3. <empty> (to be PS4 Pro)
  4. Xbox 360
  5. Raspberry Pi (RetroPie)
  6. Security Cams
  7. <Empty>
HDMI is going out from the AVR through the primary, with ARC.

All HDMI cables are AmazonBasics, except for the 50ft, which is a BlueRigger.

I've tested the Chromecast Ultra in the following combinations:

1. Directly into the TV (one connect box), works perfectly with 4k
  2. Into the wallplate on the AVR side (i.e. through the wall plates, BlueRigger HDMI, and one AmazonBasics HDMI), works perfectly with 4k
  3. Into the AVR input 1 as above, it doesn't work at all sometimes, sometimes it outputs audio and no video, sometimes it works but only in 1080p, but it has never worked in 4k
Obviously, the problem point is #3. I've tested all the other devices and they work fine, but none of them are 4k...

I've ruled out the HDMI cables and wall plate since it worked with 4k through them, the problem is clearly with the AVR or the Chromecast's interaction with the AVR. The AVR is setup straight out of the box, with the only changes being running through the Audyssey setup and adding labels to the inputs.

Is there a setting I need to change in the AVR somewhere to get 4k to work? I'm assuming it's something related to the HDCP 2.2, but all the inputs on the AVR are supposed to support 2.2 so that shouldn't be the problem...

I'll find out if 4k works at all when the PS4 Pro gets in, unless the Xbox One is supposed to work with 4k (I've read it supports 4k/30hz, but not 4k/60hz, but I might be wrong).

Any ideas? I hope I've just pulled a numpty and haven't found a setting somewhere, but the behavior of the Chromecast suggests an issue rather than a setting since it's inconsistent in working at all, rather than just only ever working in 1080p...

djc11369

Agent
Real Name
Darrin
I'm actually surprised you're getting a good enough signal at all with a non-active 50' cable. I do however think you've exceeded the limits, you will lose a certain amount of signal strength through the receiver and then compounding that with I assume a total of 62' of non-active cables as well as wall plates. For 4K it's recommended to use certified premium cables such as http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15428 which you could try for your cables on each end, perhaps it would give you enough but I think you're going to have to consider an active cable for the 50' run such as http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=13760

Azaraith

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I was able to connect the TV to the AVR through just a 6ft HDMI cable and it had the same issues then too, so I'm thinking it's gotta be a defective AVR. Nothing else explains it, all of my 6ft HDMI cables support HDCP 2.2 and are HDMI 2.0 / 18.0Gbps. If I replace the AVR and have the same issue or dropped signal then I'll replace the 50ft cable.

How effective is an active cable compared to an HDBaseT balun? Does it support ARC? I don't want to have to re-run the cable more than once...

Edit: it was the distance, got it working with a short cable. Will research active hdmi and baluns, etc. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks