1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Solve this speaker problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Brewster, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Am not in the market for replacement speakers, but if I was they would need to:
    set on a shelf (fireplace mantle)against or near the wall
    have a front or no port
    be capable of solid midbass
    stand less than 15 inches high
    cost between $500 and $1000 dollars per pair
    lean toward warm not bright sound
    My current speaker is the Linn Index+ (see review at the listed url)
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/linne.html
    Any suggestions? (Linn Katan is a possibility)

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Linns are one of the few good speakers that like being real close to the rear wall. I think they would be a good choice. I don't know if I would consider them warm, I have found them to have a more analytical sound. That is my take on the bigger ones at least. Very nice speakers regardless. That is a tough place for speakers.

-rob

3. Doug Brewster

I agree it's tough. I failed to mention the rest of my listening room's limitations and won't detail them now. Suffice it to say, it's far from perfect, but I get a great deal of enjoyment out of my home theater and others seem to appreciate it as well.

I agree with your recommendation for Linn. Maybe warm is not the correct description intended. Maybe what I meant was "laid back" - smooth with good midrange emphasis, good bass extension (but completely devoid of boominess), and no vibration in the cabinet. Highs are an added bonus but not essential.

I mostly wondered if there were other brands of speakers that are "wall-huggers".

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

The only other thing I can think of that might be worth considering are either in-walls or on-walls. Niles makes some pretty nice in-walls. AT8000,8200,8500 or 8700s might be worth checking out. I think that at least half of those are under a grand. I used to work over there, they are well built and sound pretty good. Probably not quite the same league as the linns, but still competant. nilesaudio.com Their other speakers are pretty much garbage imo

-rob

5. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

Doug,
    I don't think that you could do better than Dynaudio Audience 42W (these are made to wall mounted) are 14" high and I believe go for between $700 or $800. Only problem is they are 4 ohm so they are little more demanding. BTW... listenup.com the only authorized Dynaudio dealer has a pair of these on Ebay (in WHITE for $600 or less if you bid on them) I know because I was thinking about bidding on them[​IMG]
    Mitch

6. Doug Brewster

I will audition these suggestions.
    Re: in-walls:
    My wife would love that idea. I believe, however, They'd probably end up hidden behind plants or some other decor. Still, these might be a good solution.

Thanks