Solution for Placing Center Channel Above Plasma

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sam R. Aucoin, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

With CRT's, placing a center channel speaker on top of the unit is very easy. I simply used some industrial strength (I am not kidding about the name - it is called that on the box I picked up from Lowe's) velcro and velcroed (sp?) the speaker to the top of my former Sony's (36XBR250) cabinet. Given the height of the cabinet on which the Sony sat, the slight slant-forward of the top of the cabinet "automatically" gave me the downward angle I needed to aim the speaker at the optimum seating position.

With a plasma less than four inches wide, and using the stand (rather than mounting it on a wall), I had a real tough time trying to figure a way of placing the speaker above the screen (which, from everything I have read about speaker placement, is probably the most preferred position for the center channel - vs. behind or below the screen).

I came up with a solution this weekend and thought I would share - I hope it helps.

Again, I resorted to the good ole industrial strength velcro from Lowe's. I also purchased a 1/2" x 3" piece of fir (the pine was too crooked to use). I cut the board into two pieces of equal length, both of which were approximately 1/4" higher than the top of the plasma. I then lined one EDGE of each piece with velcro and velcroed them to the back of the plasma so that if you looked down from the top of the TV, the wood strips looked like the down-line of a "T" (lucky for me, the places I used to apply the wood strips were solid, i.e., they were where the brackets would be attached if the plasma was hung on a wall; so, I had nothing to worry about regarding overheating from heat emanating from the grill on the back of the screen). I also placed pieces of velcro on the tops and bottoms of the strips - the bottoms were velcroed to further secure the strips to the base - the tops were velcroed to serve as pedestals for the rear, bottom (and heaviest) part of the center channel speaker. I applied the last strip of velcro (approximately 3/4" wide - the width of the top edge of the TV) to the top of the plasma, centered between the two wood strips and slightly less than the length of the center channel).

I finally placed the center speaker so that the front edge of the speaker was flush with the top of the plasma (thereby making the speaker flush with the screen). The two rear strips served as bases for the rear (and as I said above, heaviest) part of the speaker, and the top edge of the plasma served as base for the front edge of the center channel. The 1/4" height difference gave me the incline I needed for the center channel to be aimed at my optimum seated position.

It has worked perfect.

I must warn you, however - make SURE you place the velcro in the correct place the first time. The box says "industrial strength", and believe me, it IS industrial strength. This velcro is so strong that when I removed my center channel speaker from my CRT to place it atop my plasma, I had to use a knife to slice between the velcro strips!! Although I had the strength to pull it apart, the grip was so strong that I worried I might crack the CRT . . .

Hope this helps those who have been wondering what to do with their center channel.

2. Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre Stunt Coordinator

You wouldn't be able to post a picture or two of this would you? I am having a hard time visualizing your descriptiuon. Thanks!

3. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

Me too. Also, what's a piece of 'fir'?

4. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    Rick...."fir" is wood, pine I think.[​IMG]

5. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Fir is a type of tree (there are many varieties). Here in the U.S., Douglas Fir is one the most widely used types of lumber in construction.

-Steve

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I'd like to see pics of this setup as well.

Sam, you still here?

7. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. Weird, cause Lowes here in Orlando only sells oak, pine, poplar and MDF. Guess it varies depending on your region.

Still would like to see a picture.

8. Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a Sanus Television Top Shelf from Best Buy- solves the problem very nicely and cheaply.

9. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for not following up on the thread, guys.

It was dormant for so long, that I never bothered checking back in this particular part of the forum to see if anyone ever replied (and I usually do not activate the email notification for posts to my threads).

Also, I left my digital camera at a relative's house for Easter and I have not gone back to get it.

I will post a pick when I do.