Solution for beige DVD-R drive & black case?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gardiner, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Hi everybody,

I'm putting together a video workstation at the office where I work. The DVD-R drive I have picked out is the Sony DRU500A, which burns every possible DVD-R, +R variation. Unforunately it appears to come only in beige, while I was hoping for a black case. Is it possible to replace the faceplate on this drive so the colors will match? Many thanks

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I dunno about changing the faceplate, but as you probably already thought about, you could paint it.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I don't know of any manufacturer that offers removable face plates for standard CD/DVD ROM drives.

I would also suggest painting. It's a lot less work with no risk of breaking any parts. A lot of people have painted their systems for their case mods. Just make sure to use a good primer first since paint might not adhere well to bare plastic.

4. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

What about vinyl dye? Also, the DRU-500A is white instead of beige (it stands out in stark contrast to my beige case).

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Use Vinyl dye. I have done it, it is a common tweak. The face and drawer face have tabs that can release them. Vinyl dye will soak into the plastic, not sit on the surface like paint.

Summit Racing has vinyl dye spray cheap.

-Vince

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Thanks everybody, I will try the dye! [​IMG]

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm in the same boat. my antec case is grey, but all my stuff is beige.

is this vinyl dye stuff available at a b&m store? how does it handle little volume wheels, etc?

btw, here's the place (i think) vince was talking about: http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...D6%26s%3D 180

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Most autoparts places have it. I have had good luck with the VHT brand that summit carries. I can't say anything about other brands- so if your local autoparts place doesn't carry VHT, you can either risk it, or spend $8 on the summit stuff.

I don't bother with the little wheel. The button can usually be popped off too and dyed. The face plate and drawer face usually have tabs that allow them to be removed- the wheel and the nutton usually stay attached to the face (this depends on drive.

If you do some searches on AVS- I recall seeing a tutorial website with some pics.

-vince

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx vince - i'll check out avs too!