What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The boxoffice just further cements my opinion that there wasn’t a lot of demand or fan interest in this film...relative to Star Wars films that is. Hence unnecessary.

Disney is seriously going to reconsider more spin off films after this. Don’t hold your breath for those Boba Fett or Obi Wan films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the Obi-Wan film will happen. Tino, I know that you are dead set against it, but I think that out of all proposed sequel and spin-off ideas, that one has more fan enthusiasm than all of the others combined. Ewan McGregor is just so good in that role that there are a large number of fans who would line up to hear him read the phone book. It will also instantly have a credibility that the other spin-offs have lacked. Whereas some viewers have had issue accepting a recast on Han, or had trouble believing that the events in R1 make sense in the context of what they had seen before, McGregor played Obi-Wan for Lucas and his presence instantly legitimizes the film in a way that the other spin-offs can't lay claim to.

I'm still stunned that this movie came out in May. There's no bigger believer in "release date voodoo" (the idea that a particular date had an intangible magic to it that resulted in a giant opening) than Disney, and I'm shocked that after the success of TFA, R1 and TLJ in the December slot, and the plan to release Ep IX in December, that they were so insistent on holding to this May date.

Right now, an audience member looking for a fun night at the movies has the choice between multiple blockbusters from multiple studios, ranging from all-ages far to more adult offerings. Not only is it not special to have a new Star Wars movie coming out five months after the last one, it's far from the only game in town.

I don't think this would have been a record breaking release at any time of year, but I think had this come out in the "Star Wars weekend" in December, it would have had an easier time attracting an audience.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I think Disney planned this out of caution, realizing that The Force Awakens was going to kill off a beloved character. But fear not, Han's back...and interest has waned. This might have done better as a Christmas film in the "Star Wars slot."

It should be noted that with the "summer" movie season now beginning at the end of April 9 (and, to judge from last year's forlorn August, concluding at the end of July) Memorial Day Weekend isn't what it used to be for blockbuster fare. The third Pirates film set the weekend record in 2007; last year's is No. 11 in MDW receipts. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/md.htm

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The boxoffice just further cements my opinion that there wasn’t a lot of demand or fan interest in this film...relative to Star Wars films that is. Hence unnecessary.

I don't know why you thought I said all films are unnecessary. I'm not the one who said any where. I simply said if I had to pick unnecessary ones, it wouldn't be Solo.

And to think giant box office numbers are the basis of whether someone believes a film is necessary or not, makes me even sadder than I already was.

I'll let the movie moguls have it. I'm heading for more optimistic terrain.;)

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think this would have been a record breaking release at any time of year, but I think had this come out in the "Star Wars weekend" in December, it would have had an easier time attracting an audience.
Without a doubt. I'm still not saying that it would have come anywhere close to the numbers that the Saga movie or Rogue One (which was, incredibly, the 6th or 7th highest grosser ever) but it would have done better if it had a better release date.

Also, let's keep in mind that we're talking about a movie that will make more than $100 million in 4 days so it's hardly like the movie tanked. And as always with Star Wars, there's merchandise that is a money printing machine so if, by some miracle, the movie didn't make a profit, it will still make Disney millions.

Disney is seriously going to reconsider more spin off films after this. Don’t hold your breath for those Boba Fett or Obi Wan films.
The only thing that will change will be if they plan to release them on Memorial Day. After a Star Wars movie couldn't put enough asses in the seats on Memorial Day to make a bajillion dollars, I don't think you're going to see anyone release a tent pole movie on that weekend for years to come. Maybe a kids movie or something higher budgeted but none of the BIG franchises will make that mistake again.

Last edited:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think the Obi-Wan film will happen. Tino, I know that you are dead set against it, but I think that out of all proposed sequel and spin-off ideas, that one has more fan enthusiasm than all of the others combined. Ewan McGregor is just so good in that role that there are a large number of fans who would line up to hear him read the phone book. It will also instantly have a credibility that the other spin-offs have lacked. Whereas some viewers have had issue accepting a recast on Han, or had trouble believing that the events in R1 make sense in the context of what they had seen before, McGregor played Obi-Wan for Lucas and his presence instantly legitimizes the film in a way that the other spin-offs can't lay claim to.

I have completely written off Star Wars. I would go see an Obi-Wan movie if it starred McGregor.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't know why you thought I said all films are unnecessary. I'm not the one who said any where. I simply said if I had to pick unnecessary ones, it wouldn't be Solo.

And to think giant box office numbers are the basis of whether someone believes a film is necessary or not, makes me even sadder than I already was.
Sorry I wasn’t replying to you regarding the unnecessary films comment. Apologies if there was confusion.

And I don’t think box office always dictates whether a film is necessary or not. I just think in this instance it does.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don’t know about that Josh. To me the Obi Wan storyline just isn’t that interesting. And it’s been pretty much told already. And I thought McGregor was good as Obi Wan but nothing spectacular.

And if, IF, an Obi Wan film ever gets made, I’ll bet you they recast Obi. No Ewan.

And just for the record, I’ll see any Star Wars film opening night despite any reluctance about them being made. :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
AB298A6A-3FC3-4D09-8B3E-09ACE00144D3.jpeg
I’d never heard of 4DX, so I gave it a go on Solo, tonight.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've reviewed 4DX here before in the Movies area, for X-Men Apocalypse and Star Trek Beyond.

It's similar to the technology used in motion rides like Star Tours at Disney. The seats can rock back and forth and to the side in sync with the picture (cues are programmed ahead of time) and there are effects such as wind, rain, and lightening flashes.

How good it is depends on how well it's been programmed. I didn't enjoy it for X-Men Apocalypse because they had the chairs moving for nearly every minute of that film's 2 1/2 hour runtime. It just became uncomfortable after a while. They also overused the lightening effects, which were so bright that what was onscreen wasn't visible when that was happening, and they overused the wind effects, which had the fans overpowering the film's audio.

The Star Trey Beyond presentation was significantly better. The chairs moved and effects happened during action sequences, but they also allowed quiet moments to stay as quiet moments - no chair rocking during a non-tension-filled dialogue scene.

Depending on which approach was taken for Solo, I could see it being a lot of fun - if they don't go over the top.

But here in NYC, a 4DX ticket is nearly $35, so it's not something I'm likely to revisit. It also plays at an auditorium with a significantly smaller screen than IMAX, Dolby Cinema and other premium-large formats, which lessened the overall impact.

Great idea, but needs more work in the implementation in my view. But hopefully they've worked out some of the kinks in the two years since I've been to one, and hopefully you're having a great time!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don’t know about that Josh. To me the Obi Wan storyline just isn’t that interesting. And it’s been pretty much told already. And I thought McGregor was good as Obi Wan but nothing spectacular.
I grew up watching the OT so it's odd but when I think of Obi-Wan, my brain goes to Ewan McGregor over Alec Guinness. That's due in large part to Ewan McGregor having a much larger role in all three prequels than Guinness had in the OT and because the look of the character in the 6 years of The Clone Wars cartoon was based on Ewan McGregor. Another part of it though is that McGregor was just that damn good in the role.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Second viewing today. Wife and kids loved it. If anything, I liked it even better the second time around, and I was very enthusiastic about it yesterday.

I do think the marketing failed this movie. For one thing, two of the best lines in the movie are in the trailer, so they didn't get as big a reaction from the crowd as they might have.

I will definitely see it again in the theater.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Second viewing today. Wife and kids loved it. If anything, I liked it even better the second time around, and I was very enthusiastic about it yesterday.
I'm going again tomorrow. I liked it the first time and expect to like it again.

I haven't seen anyone mention it here but Warrick Davis plays one of Enfys Nest's gang and he's reprising his role from The Phantom Menace (seriously).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And if, IF, an Obi Wan film ever gets made, I’ll bet you they recast Obi. No Ewan.

That would be the biggest "screw you" this side of Lucas refusing to release the unaltered original trilogy. My interest in an Obi-Wan film is 100% tied to Ewan McGroger's presence in the role, since he is the best thing about the prequels and I want to see him play the role again.

This. 100%. I agree with you, Josh, that the Obi-Wan film is likely to continue for the reasons you stated above, and I think it will be with Ewan, but there will be some reevaluation of other potential spinoffs.

Just got back. I didn’t like it. It’s the worst Star Wars film for me. I was just bored. I thought It was a giant mess of a film with very little to recommend it. I blame most of it on the terrible writing by the Kasdans. The performances were ok but I wasn’t blown away by anyone, including Glover. Alden Ehrenreich was serviceable as Han. Barely.

That being said, I saw Solo this afternoon in a mostly empty theater and was surprised at how much I agree with your overall impression of the film, Tino.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say it's worse than the prequels, but I will say that I was less interested in it than I was in the prequels the first time I saw them. Even though they didn't work, they are interesting failures in that there are some cool sequences in them, and they have some interesting ideas buried within the cheap dialogue, bland characterizations and frantic pacing. They also certainly raised the bar for what could be done with visual effects.

Solo didn't have any of that going for it. It's the ultimate average movie. It wasn't incompetent, but I didn't find any of it fun or exciting; I just sat there watching it go from on scene to the next without any kind of connection to anything that was going on. The movie didn't do anything to justify its own existence. I didn't have a huge problem with the cast, but the script just wasn't telling a story that held my interest. It wasn't the cast or Howard's direction. It was what the Kasdans wrote that just wasn't working for me. I can't really say what it would have come out as if Lord and Miller had stayed, but since my problem is the script, I don't think I would have liked it that much more with them at the helm either.

Donald Glover was the best thing about it, and if he can be this good in an average movie as Lando, I'm excited to see what he'll do with Simba next year, which as I said is his reinvented role that I care more about. If you're going to have a young Lando, I don't think they could have done any better. But I still wasn't invested in the movie around him.

I am really mad about the inclusion of Darth Maul, which I think was really sloppily handled. I don't have a problem with the idea that the TV shows and the books and the comics and all that are canon, and they can be there for those who want them in order to enrich the experience of the movies. But because Star Wars originated as a movie series, I also think that they have an obligation to make the movies make sense in and of themselves. I don't want to have to go check some other source in order to understand a plot point in a movie, and if outside sources are required, that's lazy writing.

As far as the mainstream moviegoing audience is concerned, Darth Maul died when he was cut in half. If they want to use him again, fine, but there needed to be some kind of explanation, even a line or two, to explain to audiences who aren't familiar with the content being produced for other platforms how the heck this guy is still alive. I also happen to think bringing him back to life for the cartoon was a dumb idea which undermined Obi-Wan's victory, but I will accept that it was Lucasfilm's choice to make to do that. What I object to is how sloppily it was handled in the movie. Of course, Han's ex-girlfriend wouldn't have any reason to know that Darth Maul was once killed by Obi-Wan, so I'm not sure how they would have worked that into his cameo, but if they were going to choose to bring him back, I think they needed to for clarity for the general public. Assuming the audience is acquainted with The Clone Wars and Rebels is a mistake.

Also, his appearance and promise that they would be working more closely seemed to serve as sequel setup in the way that Marvel's post-credits scenes often do. It's a little ironic because at these grosses, the chances of there being a sequel decrease dramatically, so that probably won't get paid off later and will stick out as even more random than it already is since the thread will be left dangling.

I also really didn't like all of the callbacks to other things because it seemed like the movie was more concerned with shoving those things in there than telling an interesting standalone story. "Oh, look, there are the dice we won't see again for at least 30some years of story." "Oh, remember that throwaway joke about the Kessel run? Yeah, here it is." "Did you ever want to know how Han got the last name "Solo?" Here that is too, because it couldn't just be his name for some reason!" "'I hate you"/"I know,' because we couldn't keep that sacred between Han and Leia. for some reason, it just had to be a joke here." Etc.

I didn't crack a smile once. What little audience there was didn't audibly react to much either.

I can't say I'm disappointed. But I am surprised Lawrence Kasdan couldn't come up with something better for this character, who he has written for so successfully in the past.

The whole film was just...meh.

C- from me.

I didn't like Rogue One that much -- I didn't feel a whole lot of reason to be invested in that either -- but I did end up buying it for the sake of completing th set. This one I'm even less interested in revisiting, so it may well end up the first Star Wars movie I don't buy.

So far this summer, out of the trio of big blockbuster films we've had, only Infinity War has measured up. Deadpool 2 and Solo are back-to-back blahs. Hopefully he rest of the summer releases raise their game.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I remember being shocked when 2005's King Kong was considered a disappointment when it made $50 Million it's opening weekend. I'm even more shocked now that this is being called a disappointing $100M+ opening weekend. Is this seriously a disappointment? Or are these hyperbolic headlines?

Anyways, saw it and liked it a lot. Perhaps the least great of the new Star Wars era, but that's more because the others are just better than anything being wrong with Solo. I thought the new kid was pitch perfect as a young Han. Judging by the ending I smell a direct sequel on the horizon and that would be fine with me, as long as Disney isn't crying too hard about ONLY make $100M+ in a few days.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I remember being shocked when 2005's King Kong was considered a disappointment when it made $50 Million it's opening weekend. I'm even more shocked now that this is being called a disappointing $100M+ opening weekend. Is this seriously a disappointment? Or are these hyperbolic headlines?

I think it is a disappointment in relation to how the Star Wars series has been performing since being relaunched by Disney. No one is saying that $100m isn't a lot of money, but Disney's own estimates were for $130m on the low end of the spectrum. Even Rogue One, which focused on almost entirely new characters, performed better. The "origin adventure" of Han, Chewie and Lando, who are all beloved from the original trilogy, really ought to have done better in this current environment. The low opening is also magnified because word-of-mouth is mixed at best, and that's not going to help it leg out well in the coming week. Yes, it made $100m in four days...but $100m in three days is pretty normal for massive blockbusters now, and if it can't make much more in the coming weeks, then Disney does have a problem.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think $100 million in and of itself is disappointing. I think what's a little surprising is that this is the lowest, by far, of a Star Wars opening since Disney bought the franchise, and perhaps more surprising, that it is coming in far below what tracking estimates had suggested in the weeks leading up to the release.

Since they have the box office forecasting pretty much down to a science these days, when there are variations that swing this far from the expectation (whether it's more than expected or less) it's a surprise.

I mentioned above anecdotally that this is the first Disney-era Star Wars movie to not have the demand to sustain a 24/7 engagement at the flagship IMAX location in New York City, which is the largest screen in the country. For the three other Disney SW films, it ran around the clock from 7pm on Thursday until late Sunday/early Monday. All of these were sold out well in advance - you couldn't touch it if you didn't book ahead. So just the idea that the Thursday 10pm showing, which for this movie was the first available-to-the-public showing at that location, wasn't sold out and that I was able to purchase better reserved seats on the night of the opening than I had gotten when they went onsale a few weeks ago, that's never happened to me before.

I've never attended any Star Wars film, from the 1997 reissues until now, where the Lucasfilm logo at the beginning of the film failed to get any kind of audience reaction. I've never left a Star Wars film on an opening night where the conclusion of the film didn't generate a huge round of applause from the audience.

It's just... different from anything I've ever experienced with this franchise before.

It's behaving like a normal Hollywood tentpole, and not like a special event Star Wars film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks