What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (3 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Flashback to early 1978. Marvel's six-issue adaptation of Star Wars was over, and the first thing they do is tell a multi-issue tale of Han Solo and Chewbacca in the seedy underworld of the Star Wars galaxy. Roy Thomas and, later, Archie Goodwin, understood the appeal of the space pirates.
Those late 1970's issues of the Star Wars comic books are great because they're so far out (Jaxxon the giant green rabbit). They're from such a wonderful time in SW when there was just the first movie and everyone's wild imagination about what would come next. Anyone that digs the weird old days of Star Wars should take a look at the old newspaper comic strips from 1979 to 1984. They're available in a book called Star Wars: The Classic Newspaper Comics: Volume One by Russ Manning, etc. covering 1979 and 1980 can be really wacky but fun. The second and upcoming third volumes of the newspaper comic strips are written by Archie Goodwin & drawn by the great Al Williamson came out after Empire and are more in line with what would be considered normal SW tales.

Chewbacca was great; after having too little to do in the last two Star Wars movies, we finally see Chewie back where he should be.
That was probably the most screen time that Chewbacca has gotten in any Star Wars movie and he was a highlight.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I dont want any Star Wars film to fail
at the boxoffice, but if this one does as it looks like it may underperform dramatically, the silver lining for me and some others I imagine Is that hopefully Disney will stop strip mining the SW brand by putting out inferior SW films like Solo.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
at the boxoffice, but if this one does as it looks like it may underperform dramatically, the silver lining for me and some others I imagine Is that hopefully Disney will stop strip mining the SW brand by putting out inferior SW films like Solo.

There is just no way Solo is "an inferior film." I think it was better than The Last Jedi! In fact, I have enjoyed both stand alone movie vastly more than the two most recent episodes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Never. You can never have enough Space fantasy, especially SW.
It's just some films look good to me, and some don't. But what do I know, I went into 'The Last Jedi' thinking it would be mediocre to bad.
I've never been more wrong about a movie in my entire life. I freaking loved it!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There is just no way Solo is "an inferior film." I think it was better than The Last Jedi! In fact, I have enjoyed both stand alone movie vastly more than the two most recent episodes.
To you perhaps Sam. To me it is. It’s the worst SW film to date imo.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw it in 3D this morning ...... It barely gets by. Dots are connected, and there is some genuine excitement, but somehow it is soulless. I guess my memory of a younger solo is too tied to the 1970s. The only solo i want to see now is the old man we saw in TFA a couple years ago. This film is technically correct in a lot of ways, with some appealing performances, but a lot of it fell flat for me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
To you perhaps Sam. To me it is. It’s the worst SW film to date imo.

Yes, of course, it is my opinion, just as it is yours that this is an "inferior film."

To me, an "inferior film" has bad performances, a bad script, shoddy special effects, and makes you feel nothing. (Star Trek: Nemesis fits the bill.) To me, this movie was anything but.

I realize Harrison Ford's shoes are near impossible to fill, but what I'm hearing from many people is that they won't even let anyone try. If everyone thought that way, James Bond would have ended with Diamonds Are Forever.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Took my boy to see Solo last night, who is coincidently the same age now as I was when my Dad took me to see Star Wars in ’77 so I thought that was kinda cool

As a lifelong fan, I honestly have been feeling a little, how to put it, off maybe, on the last couple? I mean I enjoyed seeing Han and Chewie in The Force Awakens and enjoyed it for what it was, Rogue One was fine and Last Jedi I liked but had some issues so I was not expecting much from Solo, more looking forward to see how my son liked it.

Wow, I was blown away! So much FUN! And when it comes down to it I think that is what has bothered me a wee bit about the last few, I mean, yeah, visually stunning with great effects and a good story but I didn’t have much fun in them. And for me, and remember its is just my opinion, Star Wars was always supposed to be fun. And that is what I got last night. And the nice bit was I was totally not expecting it.

I guess at the end of the day I don't need a movie that is life changing for profound anymore, I just want to be entertained for a couple of hours and enjoy my self, and Solo did that for me.

Bought the score this morning and have been enjoying it all day as I work. Got a ticket for a Sunday show in Montreal as I want to see it on a bigger screen with better sound. Out here in the wilds of Cornwall Ontario our theatre isn’t much better then what I have in the basement

I think on Sunday I might take my Dad…that might me fun too.

“Punch it Chewie!”

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes, of course, it is my opinion, just as it is yours that this is an "inferior film."

To me, an "inferior film" has bad performances, a bad script, shoddy special effects, and makes you feel nothing. (Star Trek: Nemesis fits the bill.) To me, this movie was anything but.

I realize Harrison Ford's shoes are near impossible to fill, but what I'm hearing from many people is that they won't even let anyone try. If everyone thought that way, James Bond would have ended with Diamonds Are Forever.
Well I thought Solo had all those inferior points except it had great effects.

I’m glad you loved it Sam. I wish I did. I went with my two nephews last night who ate huuuge SW fans like me and they hated it more than me. I didn’t hate it by the way. I just didn’t like it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh. Did you see it? Thoughts?

Saw it last night. Thoughts when I have more time....

I'd agree with the general consensus that it was completely unnecessary but mostly fun. Felt long - pacing was off, dragged in places when it should have flown. Plenty of moments where I didn't buy him as Han, but a few moments where I did. Problem wasn't really in the direction or even in how this particular story was scripted, but more, nothing in the film justifies its existence.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saw it last night. Thoughts when I have more time....

I'd agree with the general consensus that it was completely unnecessary but mostly fun. Felt long - pacing was off, dragged in places when it should have flown. Plenty of moments where I didn't buy him as Han, but a few moments where I did. Problem wasn't really in the direction or even in how this particular story was scripted, but more, nothing in the film justifies its existence.
I kind of disagree with you there. I think the back story on Han's early life justifies this film. It was a fun film and I plan on seeing it again.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’m going again with the kids and my wife tomorrow. Will let you know what they think. My wife is a good barometer of the general public — she’s been critical of several Marvel and Star Wars films she didn’t think measured up.

BTW the big reveal at the end is kind of the first step towards a connected series of films, as it clearly sets up something outside the realm of the Saga films, as well as brings in the animated series.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I guess I'm in the minority but I enjoyed Solo. I thought it was a lot of fun. Glover was outstanding as Lando IMO. I'll gladly add it to my collection when it gets released in 4K BR.

Doesn't surprise me that the gross is low for this. The theater I saw it in last night was about half full, unlike previous Star Wars films which were sold out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess I'm in the minority but I enjoyed Solo. I thought it was a lot of fun. Glover was outstanding as Lando IMO. I'll gladly add it to my collection when it gets released in 4K BR.

Doesn't surprise me that the gross is low for this. The theater I saw it in last night was about half full, unlike previous Star Wars films which were sold out.
I'm not so sure you're in the minority, as those that don't like or hate a film have a tendency to be more vocal about their displeasure than those that enjoyed a film and have little or no complaints to verbalize to others.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I found that it was the most subdued opening night Star Wars audience I've ever been part of.

I saw the 10:45pm IMAX 3D showing at the Lincoln Square IMAX, the largest IMAX screen in the country and their flagship location. The 7pm showing was reserved for a private VIP event, so this was the first public showing that was being held there. It was not sold out. In fact, I was able to exchange the tickets that I had preordered for better seats shortly before showtime, as it seemed that some people who preordered returned their tickets prior to the show. Plenty of tickets available for that showing and over the weekend. By comparison, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and Rogue One sold out their weekend showings at that IMAX location far in advance, with the theater running those films 24/7 from Thursday evening through late Sunday night. But while they are holding late screenings all weekend, they do not have round-the-clock showtimes, and there isn't demand.

First time attending an opening night SW film where the Lucasfilm logo got no response. The crowd was mostly silent throughout. There was occasionally a chuckle at a joke, but none of the humorous bits got a huge round of laughter. There wasn't any of the applause that I'm used to hearing at an opening night Star Wars showing. And when the end credits began, there was just the faintest smattering of applause which quickly died out.

It didn't seem like anyone hated it, but it didn't seem like the audience was transported by it either. Before the film began, there were people in costume, kids with lightsabers, etc., but they weren't passionate during the movie, and there wasn't much of a buzz in the theater when it ended.

It felt more like seeing a Star Wars movie at the very end of a run at a small multiplex and not like seeing it on opening night at the most premium theater on the east coast.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I actually think I’m in the minority as most in this thread have enjoyed the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks