What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, to be fair, there was the Young Indiana Jones TV series (and the flashback opening sequence to The Last Crusade), so this *has* been done before, albeit not on this scale.

I don't mean to doubt Variety's reporting, but also, how do we know Ford liked it? He wants to maintain a good relationship with the Lucasfilm folks, who are his long-term friends and colleagues, and for whom he will shoot Indiana Jones 5 next year. If he went around badmouthing the film and/or Ehrenreich's performance in it, that would be a major jerk move.

So I honestly don't think he would say anything other than positive things about it even if he were unhappy. He is likely aware of the brouhaha surrounding Mark Hamill's objections to The Last Jedi and smart enough to avoid running his mouth in a similar fashion.

If word got around that he didn't like this film, it would be harder than it already is for audiences to accept Ehrenreich in the role and could cost Lucasfilm lots of money. So I'm sure he would not come out with a negative statement, even if he did dislike it. (And I'm not projecting that he does, just that he pretty much has to bless it.)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'll wait for the eventual redbox or netflix release.

Disney's output deal with Netflix won't expire until 2019 and therefore does include 2018 theatrical releases, so Solo should show up there about 3 months after the disc release. The Last Jedi (on disc at the end of March) is showing up on Netflix in late June.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am going to a 10:45pm IMAX 3D showing tonight. My expectations are pretty low, but I tend to like Ron Howard films, and it seems like Donald Glover is going to make a good Lando. The movie still seems entirely unnecessary, but I'd rather see it and be disappointed than not see it. I can't say that for all franchises, but that's still where I'm at with Star Wars.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The movie still seems entirely unnecessary, but I'd rather see it and be disappointed than not see it. I can't say that for all franchises, but that's still where I'm at with Star Wars.

+1.

Because I basically have no expectations, I don't think it's possible for me to be terribly disappointed. Whatever it is, it is.

I also don't think Lawrence Kasdan would contribute to writing something anywhere near as awful as I think the prequels are, so even if it's not great, there's almost no way it could be the worst Star Wars film to me.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I agree with Sam, faces were way too dark which might not have been a problem if the highlights and backgrounds weren't so bright. This led me to taking a long time to warm up to the movie which I liked by the end.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think I will like this when I see it a second time at home. The colors were just off to me. Did you have contrast? Or all was milky gray and no blacks?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I barely slept last night so I'm too tired to really get into any detailed thoughts about the movie but it's a fun adventure that keeps hopping from action sequence to the next. The people that decided that they hated the movie sight unseen probably won't like it but I think people just looking for a fun way to spend 2-ish hours will enjoy it.

Lawrence Kasdan's signatures...
Another Kasdan thing was the dialogue- Han Solo had Han Solo dialogue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I liked it. It's not great and not a great film, but it is a satisfying Star Wars experience. Glover is ACES.

I definitely saw mandalorian coins in the Sabacc game. I will pay all the money to get a few =) It was so cool to see the Mandalorian beast skull and the Armor in Vos's lounge.

Bring on Fett!

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was just reminded that the DP for SOLO was the same guy who did Arrival, which was another extremely murky movie. Looking at the trailers on my TV the image looked a bit better but if the projector at your cinema is slightly off you will get an extremely murky picture.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back. I didn’t like it. It’s the worst Star Wars film for me.

I was just bored. I thought It was a giant mess of a film with very little to recommend it. I blame most of it on the terrible writing by the Kasdans.

The performances were ok but I wasn’t blown away by anyone, including Glover.
Alden Ehrenreich was serviceable as Han. Barely.

The only sequence I enjoyed was the train heist. All the other set pieces I thought were dull and unimaginative.

I went in with low expectations and still was extremely disappointed. It just confirmed to me that these spin offs are unnecessary and actually hurt the Star Wars brand.

Whatever. I’m sure many will enjoy it. The crowd I saw it with gave it scattered applause at the end.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
+1.

Because I basically have no expectations, I don't think it's possible for me to be terribly disappointed. Whatever it is, it is.

I also don't think Lawrence Kasdan would contribute to writing something anywhere near as awful as I think the prequels are, so even if it's not great, there's almost no way it could be the worst Star Wars film to me.
I thought this too before seeing the film.

I was proven wrong about all of it. Sadly.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was proven wrong about all of it. Sadly.

Wow. Tino, I would normally "like" your above post, but I don't really want to "like" that you have to say what you're saying, although I appreciate you saying it, if that makes sense. It would have been much more fun to read that you loved it. It probably would have been more fun for you to write that, if the movie had earned it.

I'm going on Saturday afternoon. Because it's not Episode IX, I didn't feel the need to do the opening Thursday night, which I only do a couple times a year for really important things that can't wait until the weekend. (Infinity War and Last Jedi were the last two.) Because it's Star Wars, I feel like I have to see it, but so far the comments in this thread aren't making me particularly anxious for Saturday to get here.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The performances were ok but I wasn’t blown away by anyone, including Glover.

I got into Star Wars later in my life than most people seem to have -- around 2001 when I was 13 -- and since my parents don't like sci-fi, it was never a staple in my house growing up, which is why I've never seen the original theatrical cuts, as I mentioned at the time of Last Jedi's release. So, I think they're great, but but I don't feel as attached to them emotionally as a lot of people here. I didn't even own any copies until the DVDs. The current sequel trilogy is the one I would most identify as "mine," because I've been a fan from the outset of it, as opposed to joining in the middle. So, even though I love Han in the other films, I had a different experience, in that I never had a Han action figure or a Millennium Falcon playset or anything, and I didn't grow up idolizing him. I'm not sure if this will have any impact on how I receive this film or not.

So, the seminal childhood character of mine that is now being played by Donald Glover is not Lando, but Simba. Funny how he gets to reinterpret iconic characters to successive generations. We'll see how mine works out next year.

Last edited:

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Didn’t hate it, thought it was by and large enjoyable enough and there were some really good moments in the film. It was generally solid.

Probably the first Star Wars film I won’t be going back to see several times though. I’d rank this better than Ep 1 and 2 but not Ep 3 IMO

1 ESB
2 ANH
3 TLJ
4 TFA
5 ROTJ
6 R1
7 ROTS
8 SOLO
9 AOTC
10 TPM

7 out of 10

I’ll say this though - I’m actually more intrigued about a potential sequel to this now that they have got the whole setup out of the way than this original film

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I definitely saw mandalorian coins in the Sabacc game. I will pay all the money to get a few =) It was so cool to see the Mandalorian beast skull and the Armor in Vos's lounge.
There was an insane alot of references to old EU stuff in this movie. From sabacc to Sharu to Teras-Kasi, there was a lot of chuckles for this old time hardcore fan. And I'd imagine that there were a number of references that I completely missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks