What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Last Jedi was the best Star Wars movie since 1980.

Sorry, but I disagree. I thought it was terrible. I saw it twice and it only got worse for me. Rian Johnson should never be allowed to touch STAR WARS again: for the same reason why Frank Miller should never be allowed to ever make another film using Will Eisner's THE SPIRIT.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Solo has me the least excited for any SW film to date. But that feeling will be erased if hopefully it’s a good film. I have faith in Ron Howard. He’s a great guy (met him twice) so I’m rooting for him.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I *finally* saw Black Panther this past Saturday in prep for catching Infinity War this coming weekend. They ran the first Solo trailer in front of the film, and there wasn't a peep from the dozen or so people in the theater with me. No reaction at all.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They ran the first Solo trailer in front of the film, and there wasn't a peep from the dozen or so people in the theater with me. No reaction at all.

That's the same thing that happened to me at Infinity War with the second trailer, when all the other trailers got big responses.

I think Disney might be surprised by how this one performs, and perhaps not pleasantly.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Reactions from trailers? In all the years I've gone to movies, I've hardly noticed any reaction from any trailer at any movie. Maybe a few whispers here and there, as well as the occasional continuing general talking (just at a lower level). But I don't ever recall any actual trailer reaction - no matter what movie it was for.

I might make a comment of approval or disapproval to my family if they are with me, but we keep it quiet and to ourselves. I figure everyone else does that. Unless I'm just that totally oblivious - which could very well be the case.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Reactions from trailers? In all the years I've gone to movies, I've hardly noticed any reaction from any trailer at any movie.

Joel - most of the time that is the case for me as well when things aren't packed, but in the case of Infinity War, with the full opening night crowd who were all really jazzed to be there, they cheered and applauded pretty much very trailer on the scroll except for Solo. So, that stood out to me.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've seen plenty of audience reactions to trailers, and sometimes not. Guess it depends on the crowd and the time of day, but usually anything Star Wars gets SOMETHING.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I would say 90% of the time i see trailers theres a reaction of some kind here in the NYC area. Maybe it’s a regional thing with us North Easter’s being so loud. :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Disney might be surprised by how this one performs, and perhaps not pleasantly.
I think it could be a tactical error to release this on Memorial Day weekend because I think people are more interested in barbecuing, drinking and seeing friends than watching a movie. I know Memorial Day and the Fourth of July are thought of as prime release dates but I think that's changed over the last decade or so. The movie is going to make money simply because it's Star Wars and if it's good, it'll make even more money but I think the opening weekend might be a little lighter than expected because the audience has different priorities for a holiday weekend now than it did 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've noticed that Fandango now has showtimes for opening weekend for Solo, but all are marked as "on sale soon" -- no further information on the page as to when they actually go onsale.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My kids give me a thumbs up or thumbs down on every trailer we see. For Solo, it was a thumbs way up as soon as they realized what it was.

I’m also looking forward to it tremendously.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
they'll go on sale on May 4th.

I didn't even think about the date when I suggested Friday, but I'm sure you're exactly right. May the 4th be with you and all that that they do every year makes this an obvious tie-in.

For me personally, I don't really feel like I need an advance ticket for this one this far out. I'll see it on opening weekend at some point, but I don't feel the need to go to the first showing like I would for a saga film, and my theater doesn't have reserved seating. So, I'm sure I'll be able to find a showtime on opening weekend that works and has seats available. They currently have Infinity War starting at least once every half hour from 9:30 to 11pm, so i they have even a quarter as many showtimes for Solo, I'll get in without trouble.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For me personally, I don't really feel like I need an advance ticket for this one this far out.
I'll be going to the movies tomorrow so, assuming they do go on sale tomorrow, I know I'll buy a ticket for me and a friend then. And I'll be honest and say that I'm a big enough dork that even if I wasn't already going to the theater, I'd go and get my tickets anyway.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
IAnd I'll be honest and say that I'm a big enough dork that even if I wasn't already going to the theater, I'd go and get my tickets anyway.

I did that for The Force Awakens. When all the websites crashed, I called a cab and paid $30 for a round trip to the movie theater and back for no other reason than to buy the ticket and turn around and go home. But for that one, I was insistent upon seeing the very first show. With Solo, because it is a spinoff and not the next episode in the main saga I really don't feel like I need to rush out on opening night like I will for Episode IX.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I did that for The Force Awakens. When all the websites crashed, I called a cab and paid $30 for a round trip to the movie theater and back for no other reason than to buy the ticket and turn around and go home. But for that one, I was insistent upon seeing the very first show. With Solo, because it is a spinoff and not the next episode in the main saga I really don't feel like I need to rush out on opening night like I will for Episode IX.
I'm not going to put it to the test but I think people will able to grab a ticket for the opening Solo show until that afternoon.

If I remember correctly, since the ticket sites crashed for The Force Awakens, I spent hours trying to order tickets for the seven movie marathon and it eventually got late enough that I called my sister (who was in grad school and is a night owl) and had her keep trying to order. She got through around 1 or 2 AM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks