SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Tagline: Never tell him the odds.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Ron Howard

Cast: Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover, Paul Bettany, Thandie Newton, Joonas Suotamo, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Erin Kellyman, Ian Kenny, John Tui, Charlotte Louise, Clint Howard, Anthony Daniels, Dee Tails, Attila Vajda, Kiran Shah, Lily Newmark, Samantha Colley, Warwick Davis, Sema-Tawi Smart, Linda Hunt, Jon Favreau, Anna Francolini, Andrew Woodall, Shaquille Ali-Yebuah, Eben Figueiredo, Aaron Heffernan, Hal Fowler, Damian Farrell, Fraser Kelly, Jason Wong, Alice Hewkin, Robert Morgan, Miles Richardson, Sammy Hayman, Rona Morison, Dempsey Bovell, Joseph Charles, Dave Chapman, Katy Kartwheel, Harley Durst, Ray Park, Samuel Witwer, Andrew Jack, Richard Dixon, Deepak Anand, Peter Vo

Release: 2018-05-23

Runtime: 135

Plot: Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian.

20170220_jo_ono2586_rnew.jpg

http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/21/han-solo-movie-cast-photo/

MV5BNTQ0YmNmMzgtYjc1OS00YThhLWFhYWUtMGZhMjJlNTMwMmE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

Han Solo and Chewbacca's adventures before joining the Rebellion, including their early encounters with Lando Calrissian.

Director: Ron Howard
Writers: Jon Kasdan (screenplay), Lawrence Kasdan (screenplay)
Stars: Emilia Clarke, Paul Bettany, Woody Harrelson

IMDb

Last edited:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Release date is still May 25, 2018, not December as speculated.

If The Last Jedi does anywhere in between the business that The Force Awakens ($2 billion) and Rogue One ($1 billion) did being released in December during the holiday season—which is almost guaranteed—they will move this Untitled Han Solo Star Wars Story movie to December. They'd be silly not to after establishing three years in a row that Christmastime is Star Wars time. And I also think Episode IX will eventually get moved to December 2019 because of this as well. It's a win-win situation for both Lucasfilm and Disney in that the former gets six months additional time for post-production and the latter makes oodles of dollars in their continuance to recoup their $4 billion investment. There is no advantage to keeping the release dates in May because audiences will be there in December regardless.

I'm still a bit cautious yet curious about this Untitled Han Solo Star Wars Story movie, though. It's quite an iconic character to be playing with so they better get it right. Having Kasdan involved certainly helps with keeping my faith towards it working.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That woman on the left that I don't know her name denied few days ago being in the movie and said all is untrue or something like that! :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If nothing else, they cast an actor who looks visually close enough to plausibly age into Harrison Ford circa 1977 in the decade or so before this and A New Hope:
sw-han-comparison.jpg

Given that this is also shooting at Pinewood, I'm guessing they're using the standing Millennium Falcon set built for The Force Awakens? If so, it makes sense to slot the filming of this between The Last Jedi and Episode IX; they can redress the Falcon circa 10 years before the Battle of Yavin, film what they need to for this, then redress the set to match whatever state the ship is in post-TLJ for Episode IX. No reason to reinvent the wheel. It's sort of like how they left the recurring Harry Potter sets up at Leavesden until the eighth movie finished shooting.
I'm still a bit cautious yet curious about this Untitled Han Solo Star Wars Story movie, though. It's quite an iconic character to be playing with so they better get it right. Having Kasdan involved certainly helps with keeping my faith towards it working.
I'm cautious too, but I've got to admit that The Force Awakens allayed my fears somewhat. For all of that movie's flaws, it was a clear demonstration that Lawrence Kasdan still knows how to write Han Solo. The question is whether Alden Ehrenreich can do the character justice and fill the very big shoes of a cinematic icon like Harrison Ford.

It appears that Chewie and Lando are the only two previously encountered characters in this besides Han, which is how it should be. My one complaint so far is Woody Harrelson's casting. He's a great actor, but he'll never not be Woody Harrelson. He'll pull me out of the reality of Star Wars a bit. Emilia Clarke, by contrast, has a way of vanishing into roles. In the few other movies I've seen her in, I didn't think of the Khaleesi at all.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm down on it because it simply it doesn't need to be made. I'm happy with Solo's character arc the way it is and have no desire to see a backstory. Part of Han Solo's appeal is the mystery behind the man. This film will throw that out the window, no matter how "good" it is, and I see this project as nothing more than a Disney cash-grab.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Why are so many down on this project? It's going to blow ROGUE ONE away in quality and box office. I just don't get all the negativity.

Two words: Larry Kasden.

No one in the world writes Han Solo better.
Because I can't put in to perspective another actor other than Harrison Ford
playing Han Solo. Who happens top be my favorite character in Star Wars. Is he going to ape/mimic Ford's mannerisms? I just don't like anything about this.
And Lawrence Kasdan is a great screenwriter but a terrible story teller in my opinion(the complete reverse of George Lucas).
All of his original stories made into movies I have had a strong dislike of(Silverado, Grand Canyon etc.).
I do admire your optimism for this project Alan. I wish I wasn't so skeptical.
This will be an easy movie to skip for me

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Here's the issue for me. It's this idea of what's "canon" and what's not. Obviously all the movies will be canon. But they used to say the Star Wars radio drama was canon. Now they say it's not. They used to say this book was canon, that book was canon; now they're not. So I decided that for my Star Wars universe, I will pick what is canon.

I simply exclude those things I don't like as not being canon. I consider ROGUE ONE canon. Barely.

My hope is the Han Solo movie will pleasantly surprise skeptics and that anyone going into it with an open mind will have a fair chance of liking it. I hope it will end up being a treat for people who love Han Solo.

I may hate it. I may exclude it as part of my canon. But until I do, my world is a happier place if I keep a good thought for it.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
"You've taken your first step into a larger universe."

Either that, or the thing just got a whole lot smaller.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
For it to succeed they probably shouldn't do any origin story of any kind. It should just be a fun adventure story with no connection to the original trilogy.
If I have a concern it is they will do too much fan service like they did with R2 and 3PO, forcing them awkwardly into R1.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm down on it because it simply it doesn't need to be made. I'm happy with Solo's character arc the way it is and have no desire to see a backstory. Part of Han Solo's appeal is the mystery behind the man. This film will throw that out the window, no matter how "good" it is, and I see this project as nothing more than a Disney cash-grab.
What movie has to be made? I'd also say that most movies would not get made if they didn't think they could make money. I'll give this one a chance, maybe it'll stink or maybe it'll be good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My one complaint so far is Woody Harrelson's casting. He's a great actor, but he'll never not be Woody Harrelson. He'll pull me out of the reality of Star Wars a bit. Emilia Clarke, by contrast, has a way of vanishing into roles. In the few other movies I've seen her in, I didn't think of the Khaleesi at all.

When I was watching the Hunger Game movies I found myself paying attention to the character, not the actor.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My one complaint so far is Woody Harrelson's casting. He's a great actor, but he'll never not be Woody Harrelson.
I think when he's doing comedy, he's Woody Harrelson but he was great in True Detective (and other dramatic roles) and not at all in Woody-mode. That being said, I'm assuming he and the movie are more comedic so I do expect to see Woody-mode here.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks