Soliloquy 5.0's.....Need Some Feedback

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter $ Jay, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Peter $ Jay

Peter $ Jay Extra

Jan 3, 2003
    Does anyone out there know anything about the Soliloquy 5.0's?

I am preparing to overhaul my existing HT system and was leaning toward buying B&W CDM-9NT's for the front to go along with 1NT's in the back. However, I am starting to realize that I could save some serious cash with only a marginal drop off in sound quality if I used stand-mounted bookshelf speakers all around. With that in mind, a pair of the 9NT's would run about $2500. I figured the 1NT's (only $1600 per pair, stands included) were the way to go but some recent reviews have really played up the Soliloquy's which would end up costing about $400 less than the 1NT's. In total, using the using the 9NT's and 1NT's together would end up costing at least $1600 more than using four of the 5.0's. I figured the $1600 would go along way toward buying a nice center speaker and sub.

However, the problem is that I have no way to audition the Soliloquy's since they are not available locally. That being the case, I have to depend on your guys to tell me what you know and think about the 5.0's.

Thanks In Advance....Peter
  2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

Jul 12, 2001
    i auditioned the 5.0's quite a while back so my memory is kinda foggy. i remember they didn't do much in the bass department but that's to be expected. they did however sound better than the linn katan's i auditioned at the same time. if i recall...they just seem at tad more alive and had more depth to them. if you do decide to go soliloquy all might be able to save even more cash by getting the 5.0 for the fronts and the sat-5 for the rears. last i recalled....the 5.0's were $999 plus $500 for the stands.

kevin t