Solid State or Tubes: what do you have?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremySt, Aug 12, 2002.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Which do you own, and in what kind of system?
    2 channel, or Home theater.

I have solid state, Home Theater.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I now have an almost solid-state 5.1-channel home theater--but we can't rightly call a direct-view, CRT-based display "solid state," can we? [​IMG]
    I used to be into two-channel audio, and I wasted money on overpriced vacuum tube-based gear from Audio Research and conrad-johnson. Then I woke to the truth and saw through the high-end shell game promulgated by the likes of The Abso!ute Sound magazine.
    Here's to integrity, honesty, and value--in other words, here's to home theater.

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Um, I have no idea what we're talking about here. Someone please explain.:b

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Solid-state all the way. An Enlightened Audio PowerMaster 1000 (200X5) is all I'll ever need. Warm and rich sounding, with plenty of transient capability.

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Solid state here also. Jan ,if you happen to read this, is EAD still around? I wanted to hear one of their pre/pros, but can't find any dealers, at least up here in Northern California. I do visit my dad in Pacific Palisades a lot. I heard they had sweet 2 channel sound, but also that they were having some ownership changes.

7. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Yes Dana, EAD still exists, but I believe they were bought out by a larger tech company (forget the name off-hand). Their pre/pros are indeed still outstanding (will buy one someday when I get enough scratch saved up), and they are among the best-sounding in two-channel. Audition the Ovation if you get the chance, or if you have the dough, try the Signature 8. JH

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Thanks Jan. I'll look for a dealer up here. Two are listed, but I haven't been able to get a hold of them. While most do a great job on HT, few have the rep of doing a wonderful job on 2 channel as well. I'm very intrigued by EAD's rep of having a beautifully musical, articulate 2 channel sound. Sorry to everyone else for going off topic. I'll stop now.[​IMG]

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Two Channel Audio driven by Audio Research and it sounds great!
    When two channel is this, it is just as good as surround sound because it creates a wide 3-D soundfield. [​IMG]
    Working on receiver for surround sound with my video setup.

10. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

I have mostly tubes now, but I'm still running solid state in my home theater setup. However, with the upcoming purchase of new tube amplifiers I hope to phase solid state amplifiers out of my setup. I love tubes.

11. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Solid State Two Channel