Solid black mattes cut to order, CHEAP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John E F, Jan 27, 2002.

1. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

Just though it would share this for eveyones benefit. I had been trying to construct two pairs of mattes for our 51" hd ready rptv, but could not find any material locally that would fit the length of the tv without joing two pieces together. I found a commercial plastics supplier locally who sells to the public and ordered two sets of mattes (1.85 and 2.35) made of 1/8th inch solid black plexiglass. I was willing to buy the whole sheet for about $50.00 when the salesman offered to cut them to size and sell the pieces for $20.00 total! I did all of this over the phone with my credit card and picked them up that afternoon. A little industrial velco and we were in business. They work awesome! They were cut straight and looked very professional (they look like part of the tv if you didn't know better) and I didn't have to anything but pay for them! I'm sure they will last longer than any other type of foam core material.

2. John H

John H Second Unit

Will the company take an order and ship out of state?
    I have constructed mattes out of black felt covered cardboard. These sound nicer.
    Is the finish gloss or flat?
    John

3. John E F

They are a gloss finish but there is no glare in low lighting. I'm sure there is a plastics company close to you that will do the same thing. Try the Yellow Pages under plastics or acrylics.

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I am very interested in this as well, as my Pioneer Elite TV has the black Urishi finish and I bet those would go perfectly. When you called the manufacturer, you just asked for mattes?

5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Pad those plastic mattes so they don't mar your screen surface.

6. Craig Brandstetter

If they have a glare you could paint them with flat black spray paint. But it probably doesn't matter since mattes are really best used with low light conditions anyway.

-Craig

7. John E F

I put extra velcro on them to keep them from making contact with the screen. They actually look like the piano black gloss fininsh of the Pioneer Elite tv's, no glare in low light. All you need to to do is find a someone in your area that sells "Plexiglass", such as a commercial plastics dealer. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Plastics - rods, sheets, etc" for a Plexiglass dealer. All this stuff is solid black Plexiglass. Just ask them to cut strips to the sizes needed, the won't know what mattes are.

I also had them cut a piece of clear 1/16th inch Plexiglass that I velcro over the front of the screen as added protection from a two and a four year old. The Plexiglass screen already has a number of scratches and fingerprints on it, we just take it off to watch dvd's when they go to bed. This only cost about $12.00 and has saved the tv screen from the daily careless play of small children.

Guys, this is really easy. When you find a Plexiglass dealer, just ask them to cut it to the sizes you need, they really don't care what you are using it for.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I hit an Art supply store and found a black foam-board used for presentation-displays (like at the school science fair). When you open up the two wings, I get about 55-60" width. Leaving the wings folded gives me a small enough surface that my metal yardstick can allow me to do a straight cut with a razor knife. Cost about $15.

I'd like to find some Duvtyne to glue onto it, but the foam board is already satin, non-glare.

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

This post is better served in the TV Forum. Enjoy your mattes!

10. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Jay,

One of the quotes in your sig a queensryche song lyric????????????????????/

11. Lyle Schenher

For the more budget minded folk:

I picked up a full 4 by 8 sheet of black corrugated "PLASTIC" board at my local home depot for less than 15.00.

I'm not sure what it's generally used for, but the way to pick it out is to look for something that looks exactly like cardboard, but is made from plastic instead of paper.

Easily cut with a sharp knife, and a straight edge.

Velcro is used to attach it to my rptv. I cut mine so that it just fits inside the beveled edge of my screen frame.

When they are on, they look great, a nice dull black colour.

Easy to flip on and off as they are reasonably light, and very durable. Have been using mine for over a year now, and really need to take the time to cut a new set for watching 2:35 to 1 material, currently my set is used for 1:85 watching of movies, and HDTV on my set.

I'm sure the plexiglass ones would look cool too, but would be concerned about the kids yanking them off and dropping them on their toes.

Lyle.

12. John E F

Actually, dropping the Plexiglass screen protector on your toes hurts more, or tripping on it in the dark. Luckily, most of our dvd watching is after the kids go to bed. Since we have been watching dvd's on the home theater from the time they were born, they sleep right through it.[​IMG]

13. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

I just made some mattes last night..and WOW! It's like a brand new tv! I have a 61" 4x3 high def Sony. When I watch widescreen movies it has the same screen size as a 55" widesreen TV, and these mattes make it look like it IS a widescreen TV. Thick deep black surrounds the screen image and makes the colors even more rich and full.

I purchased some black foam board from a local art store and had them cut 4 pieces of 7.5" deep and 50" wide for 16x9, and 4.5" and 50" for 1:85. I then glued, and taped them together to fit the screen. They don't look too bad at all in the light, but in the dark they might as well be part of the TV itself.

What a great idea whoever originally thought of it! And thanks to all of the others who described their technique etc. That's the best part of this forum!

14. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

15. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Ah, I thought I recognized that. I listened to the Rage for Order album last week after quite a while and remembered how much I like it. Walk in the Shadows is the best one on there, though screaming in digital and gonna get close to you (think that's the song name?) are also excellent. Queensryche was the king of "concept" albums, IMO. However, after Empire their stuff took the awful turn of becoming more alternative. What a shame.

Nice to see a fellow fan though.