Soliciting opions/reviews of the Amperion Audio Intimus series

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sean_P_O'Brien, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Sean_P_O'Brien

I've read both customer and critics' reviews of the Amperian Audio sound systems, and have taken interest in their Intimus 5.1 home theatre system with additional S-10 powered subwoofer. The reviews appear favorable, but I'd love anyone's personal opion and/or experience with either the company or its products.

Thanks in advance.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

3. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

I own the Aperions. I used to have the 10" sub, now have the 12". They are a great system. The speakers are great for the money and really excel in home theater. The sound stage is detailed and very transparent across all speakers. I have compared them to many systems including the ascends mentioned above and for me the ascends were a close second being better for music, but not quite as good for HT due to a less transparent sound stage. Also they don't look as nice.

The sub is great too. I don't think there is a better 10" sub on the market. I have compared the Aperion 10" directly to the HSU 10" and the Aperion was definitely a step up and looks a lot nicer too.

In the end, if you are mainly HT I'd go with the Aperion. If you are mainly into music, I'd go with Ascend and the Aperion or SVS sub.

4. Sean_P_O'Brien

Thanks Curtis and Brian.

Brian besides the obvious upgrade in power, are you happy making the upgrade from S-10 to the S-12? Is there an appreciable difference, or would I be better served with the S-10 and a wife who's not quite as uptight about the investment? I read where the S-12 has much better performance in the lower frequencies (below 30 Hz) - now that you can enjoy the S-12, would you at least rate the S-10 as adequate in this area?

Thanks for the personal insight.

5. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Hi Sean,

The S-10 is a great subwoofer. What you gain with the S-12 is, like you said, low end extension. The thing is, there aren't too many movies that go below 30hz and the s-10 can in fact produce ample sound down to 25hz. It also produces the same high quality, high volume bass that blends well with the whole system. For me, upgrading was a semi-silly extravagance (spent too much time on this board).

The question for you is do you really crave that low end extension. If not, I'd go with the S-10. However, keep in mind that the upgrade now will only cost 100$ but if you go with the S-10 and then want to upgrade it will cost much more.

By the way, the Aperion system, given its good looks and cost to performance ratio is a great system to get if you have a reluctant wife. I know [​IMG]

6. Sean_P_O'Brien

Brian,
    Thanks for the helpful hints about the S-10. Looking ahead toward the cost of speaker cable, component connections and fiber optic cables, maybe I'll invest that extra $100 in that area instead.

In my search through hundreds of possibilities for HTiB's, speakers, individual components, etc. I have always gone back to the speakers. I think that many HTiB's out there provide a nice, decent audio package, however I can't break away from investing more on the front end to give me better sound and flexibility in the longterm.

I appreciate the candid assessment of the Aperions since they appear to offer much higher quality without (totally) breaking the bank. I think I have the wife convinced, but we're still going to wait on (her) yearend bonus to see if the funds will support the decision.

Thanks again for the great help! [​IMG]