Soliciting Helpful Expert Opinions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Doug Stewart, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Doug Stewart

Doug Stewart Auditioning

Over the next 6-10 months, I'll be assembling a living room home theater piece-by-piece. I'll start with stereo + center, then add sub, then go to 5.1, then 7.1. Because of the price/performance balance and the distinctive sound that is generally biased toward rock/pop/blues music, I've decided on JBL Northridge E-series speakers for the system.

My living room is 16' x 25', with the TV centered on one of the 16' walls. With 8' ceilings, I have a 400 square foot, 3200 cubic foot room. I have a Denon 7.1 AV receiver (AVR-985) that provides 100 watts per channel. I've already purchased a JBL EC-35 center channel speaker that I'll use with my old Sony mains until they're replaced.

Now the question: For the given room size and program material, what SPECIFIC E-series speakers would you recommend for each remaining position (front mains, L/R surrounds, L/R rears)?

Thanx Lotz

2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I may be shunned for saying this, but, I really like the E60's up front, then you could do 30's, 20's or 10's for side and rear surrounds. What kind of budget are you working with? Keep your eye on bhphoto for the best prices, free shipping and they are authorized dealers!

I must of missed something because there used to be A LOT of JBL threads on here and over the past few days I have been trying to "search" for them and I am coming up empty handed.

3. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

I might not consider the E10s for the size room, but it depends on budget. Also, take a look at J & R Music World, they have great prices on the Northridge series now too.

btw, I use my Northridge set-up with NAD but auditioned it on Denon. Great combo, you'll love them.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I think I'd go with the E80's personally. Mostly just because I'd prefer to have the dual 6" drivers instead of the 8" driver. I'd then get the E30's for surrounds -- that way you'd have the same 6" driver in your surrounds.

What sub are you planning to get? The JBL subs aren't bad, but most would say you can do better for the same price.

5. Doug Stewart

Doug Stewart Auditioning

Thanx for the replies so far.

To Chad Isaacs - My budget is around $1000, not including the Denon AVR and the EC-35 center channel speaker, which I already have. Your recommendation of B&H Photo is quite excellent; I've dealt with them for decades (photo stuff) and they are top quality dealers.

To JerryMa - Thanks for the J&R Music World info. I've dealt with them also over the years, but not recently. I was torn between Denon and Harmon-Kardon AVRs, both quality units, but went with the Denon because of a great deal.

My living room is relatively empty: 56" TV surrounded by an entertainment center (concession to the wife) on one 16' wall. Leather sofa, leather love seat, and leather recliner, two end tables, and a small coffee table, all mostly toward the opposite end of the room. Carpeted floor, heavy window drapes, and sheetrock walls keep the room from being excessively "bright". All-in-all, it's a fairly neutral room.

I have an extensive, although quite dated, background in pro/live/stage audio for rock/pop groups. When I'm alone in the house, I appreciate and desire the high-energy sound of concert performances, satellite or DVD. (My wife tops out at premium theater sound levels with movies on DVD.) I'm trying to build a system that will keep us both happy.

To SethH - I am leaning toward the E80s or E90s as front mains, and E30s for the four surround/rear speakers, plus at least one sub. I agreee that the E10s would be too wimpy for my room. I need a well-reproduced and defined kick drum sound. If I didn't use a sub, I would go for the E100s instead of the E80s/E90s, but I'm leaning WAAAAAY towards the sub.

Since there is no real 'voicing' issue to match the sub with the other speakers, I'm not comitted to a JBL sub. I've read in several places online that the JBL subs are somewhat boomy. I would appreciate recommendations around the $200 mark for a sub. I've heard that the Dayton 12 (Parts Express) is a quality unit.

So, for my $1000, I can get both mains (E80s or E90s), four satellites (E30s), and an inexpensive sub, with change leftover for wiring, brackets, wall plates, connectors, etc.

One final question that I haven't seen addressed (or found): In normal operation, just carrying ambient, fill, and occasional special effect sounds, how much program power is sent to the surround/rear speakers?

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Take a pass on the E-series subs. You might want to check my review of the 10” model at the link in my signature.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I recently purchased a sub in this general price range. If you're really strapped for cash then the Dayton may be the way to go. Unfortunately, however, most report that the new model doesn't live up to the standard set by the older model (which stopped shipping late last year). Many consider the two new contenders in the