What's new

Soldiers of Fortune - The Complete Series (TMG) (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
This is a pleasent surprise after the recent batch of TV Westerns from TMG

I wonder what the overall quality will be

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
This looks like an interesting show, especially the time frame it was on is like 1955. I may look at this set, because i like the story lines. I don't recall this show, but, that is ok, because i like classic tv shows. I was born in 1968 and many of the dvds in my collection relate to a period time i was just a baby or i was not born. However, that is ok, because the acting that excites me is the old show.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
it was posted on tvshowsondvd.com. I can not post that link, because it may cause conflict with the ownership of the material

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Never seen or heard of this show . But it does sound interesting . Like Younger68 i enjoy classic shows and this one has an interesting premise .

S

silverking

Sadly, old enough to remember it !

Indiana Jones on a budget !

It was one of the first filmed action/adventure shows, mostly John Russell (Lawman) & Chick Chandler hacking their way through jungles or deserts. Lots of fights, lost treasures , prehistoric monsters (lizards magnified in true Irwin Allen style) &insert footage,

It did move pretty fast & I thought it was great at the time.There are a goodly amount of character actors from the period such as Lee Van Cleef appearing.

If you like old westerns & detective shows from the period you will enjoy it. I'm putting in my pr-order today.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'll certainly be looking forward to this! I've only seen a couple of episodes, but it seemed like good fun. Fast-paced, and admittedly a bit hokey, evoking old movie-serials in a way. What's particularly nice is this is the kind of fare that really hasn't been very well-represented on dvd at all. At least, officially. Gotta thank Timeless.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I'm definitely in.

A few months ago it might have been a maybe, but I find I enjoy watching certain actors. I got into "Lawman" after enjoying seeing Peter Brown in "Laredo". That led me to John Russell after interestingly seeing him in a few "Cheyenne" episodes recently, as well as the few episodes of "Lawman" that I have actually watched (currently capturing them all off of Encore though). Now based on what I'm hearing about this show I can hardly wait.

While I'll will probably wish later on there were more seasons that would be available. I like the price point. Shelling out $80+ on an unknown commodity can be tough when they only release a complete set (e.g., Deputy, Thriller). It creates an all-in or out scenario. Where as under $40 I can take a gamble here and there.

Is this one of those cases where we might be getting better prints from the studio?

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Anyone find any better prices on Soldier of Fortune, or The Deputy. Amazon seems to be asking full retail and my other standby Deep Discount DVD doesn't even have them listed.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have not seen Soldiers of Fortune showing up on Amazon.ca yet. I am guessing it will show up shortly.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Amazon.ca does seem to drag its feet when it comes to new releases being listed... I've often wondered also why they don't have, like their mother corp, a 'sign up now and we'll notify you when news of a release is announced' button for some of the more popular requested shows.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by shoeshineboy

Amazon.ca does seem to drag its feet when it comes to new releases being listed... I've often wondered also why they don't have, like their mother corp, a 'sign up now and we'll notify you when news of a release is announced' button for some of the more popular requested shows.

yes, a RSS feed would be great.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i am interested in purchasing this set, but would like to solicit people's opinion around the show. I thought the show was from the 1950s, which will mean it will be in black and white. Can anybody shed any light around this show?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
It's pre-order price at deepdiscount.com today, is $27.19. That's a nice price for 52 episodes and I have ordered SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE. (With it's Nov 30th release it misses the November DD 20-25% off sale, if there is one, anyway.)

I like the stars, John "Lawman" Russell and Chick Chandler. Chandler always played wise-cracking reporters in 1940's movies. I have no memory of the show but expect it to be well produced with the usual Revue/Universal professionalism.

Here's a link to the Classic Television Archive Soldiers of Fortune entry: http://ctva.biz/US/Adventure/SoldiersOfFortune.htm

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
After about 30 days or around a month before it is set to be released the copy is now available on amazon.ca. I have done some analysis and it looks like at times there is about 30 days difference between when something shows up on amazon.com and then appears on amazon.ca.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
My copy is in the mail. I made a mistake with Deep Discount and thought i had cancel the order, but, they shipped it out. So, it will take 10-20 days to arrive by USPS. I am not sure i will use Deep Discount again. I much prefer Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks