What's new

International SOLDIER OF FORTUNE (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Soldier of Fortune was an early widescreen movie released in 1955. The movie stars Clark Gable and Susan Hayward in a story of a wife, Hayward, looking for her missing husband who enlists the help of Gable. The movie is now available on Blu Ray from Amazon, Germany. The Blu Ray contains English and German audio with English and German subtitles. The audio and video are very good especially for a movie filmed in 1955. The Blu Ray was played on an OPPO 104 set to Region "B". Regions "A & C" are untested.

Soldier.jpg

Ernest

Supporting Actor
This movie was released in 1955 so mono 2.0 is the correct audio. The audio is what you would expect from a very old movie produced when video in color was the main attraction.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
View attachment 63944 [/QUOTE]
Soldier of Fortune was an early widescreen movie released in 1955. The movie stars Clark Gable and Susan Hayward in a story of a wife, Hayward, looking for her missing husband who enlists the help of Gable. The movie is now available on Blu Ray from Amazon, Germany. The Blu Ray contains English and German audio with English and German subtitles. The audio and video are very good especially for a movie filmed in 1955. The Blu Ray was played on an OPPO 104 set to Region "B". Regions "A & C" are untested.

It plays fine on my player set to region A.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
This movie was released in 1955 so mono 2.0 is the correct audio. The audio is what you would expect from a very old movie produced when video in color was the main attraction.

I believe that Soldier of Fortune was indeed in stereo with an OAR of 2:55

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This was on dvd here in the USA but in mono. Is it stereo over there?
Not to be argumentative, but I just checked my US DVD and it is most definitely stereo, and true stereo too, not the synthetic kind that Fox is known for. So if the German Blu-ray didn't use this stereophonic track, then it is very unfortunate.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
As pointed out this is plainly wrong.Multichannel sound was a requirement for Fox CinemaScope releases until the late 50's.
A friend who has this release has confirmed that is basically the same transfer as the DVD but with the obvious Blu ray advantages.Sound is stereo but the dialogue is centralised.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
As pointed out this is plainly wrong.Multichannel sound was a requirement for Fox CinemaScope releases until the late 50's.
A friend who has this release has confirmed that is basically the same transfer as the DVD but with the obvious Blu ray advantages.Sound is stereo but the dialogue is centralised.
Good to know. I'm going to go ahead and import the Blu-ray then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks