What's new

Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix - Anyne have this one yet? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
The title should read "Anyone" have this yet . . .

My local EBX says it comes in tomorrow.

I read a review on IGN and they give it an 8.8, citing stability issues and some other little things as their main gripes.

I just can't wait to blow some virtual terrorist's heads off.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Update:

I just picked this one up at lunch. It looks beautiful. I hope I don't have any installation problems or any problems running it.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
All my local stores were sold out so I ordered from ebgames.com. They are giving a free copy of soldier of fortune platinum when soldier of fortune 2 order...

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I got a free copy from the B&M EBX. That was nice because I wasn't expecting it.

You won't be disappointed in the game, unless you're one of the people who have problems installing it.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The only problem I've seen is the price ... $75 Canadian!

Damn, I bought Allied assault for $40.

Brent

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Any initial impressions? I'm tempted to pick it up. Gonna need convincing though. :D

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Initial impressions:

Great Graphics. You do need a powerhouse PC to run it though.

Great Sound. It has support for EAX 3.0. I know some folks don't care for that, but it really provides a sense of immersion.

DISABLE the LIMITED Saves option. Do this by selecting a custom difficulty.

Stealth missions suck. This is a blood and guts game, not Metal Gear Solid.

Overall, I'd agree with both IGN and Gamestop's reviews.

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I have something weird happening. The game runs stupidly fast for 10 levels. I get to the level where you have to stealth into the house and all of a sudden i have no framerate. i was getting 100+ at 1024X768 on every other level. anybody else having this problem?.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Oh boy this game has been such a disappointment. :frowning: I HATEHATEHATE the cut scenes. The character model for Juhn Mullins (what a stupid name! :angry:) are really dreadful. The game looks so mcuh worse than other Quake 3 engine games. Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor and Jedi Outcast (same developer as SOF2) absolutely blow this out of the water! WTF?
The jungle levels look good. But they suffer from some severe design flaws. The background are so lacking in detail, and swaying grass is only impressive for a few minutes. Having enemies hiding in grass and pumping round after round into you is especially annoying. The locational damage feature is novel and well-implemented at first, but it gets boring and repetitive after the 100th bad guy you'd wasted. I hope the levels improve as I progress.
Also, the stealth is sooooo annoying. Its ludicrous that you can walk right in front of a guard, and he won't notice you if you're quiet enough. :angry: WTF!!!! :thumbsdown: Very bitterly disappointed. If this game is anything to go by, the Quake 3 engine is getting sooooooo old. Bring on the Doom 3 engine. :D

Jon Teddlie

Stunt Coordinator
Juhn Mullins (what a stupid name! )
Actually it's JOHN Mullins, and he is a real soldier and the basis of SOF. I'm really enjoying this one myself although I have a problem with how acurate the enemy AI can be and they can spot you from a half mile away even when you are crawling on the ground... There's so much action in this game I haven't been paying attention to the graphics but they seem fine to me.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I don't "hate" it. I'm just very disappointed, because the screen-shots really pumped me up, and IMO it just hasen't delivered. The general game atmosphere just isn't very good IMO. The weapons are absurdly bulky and not fun to use, and I really dislike the character models. Other than that, its just fine. :D;)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
It started out boring, but the hospital level and the airport level (which I'm on now) have been a lot of fun! I like charging a group of guys with the shotgun and blasting their legs and arms off as I run past them. Seems to take them by surprise and they can't track you very fast. Also learn to headshot with the M4. I'm getting pretty good at it so I can do one shot kills without a scope...just aim high :)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
That's reassuring Mike. I'm only 4/5 levels into the Colombia mission. I hope it gets better, because at the moment it certainly is "boring".

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the colombia missions sucked big time. It does get better though. There is one more mission that is extremely frustrating so far after colombia, a snow mission where visibility is really bad, but the bad guys seem to be able to hit you before you can even see them with a scope. I almost quit the whole thing right there.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I've had a minor change of heart. I put in a few more hours last night, and I'm beginning to enjoy this one. Fundamentally, I'm an impatient FPS player. If I'm not digging the atmosphere or mood of the game, I'll rush through with all guns blazing, with no thought of tactics or pacing. I've found that the key to playing this game, is to take your time. Crawling through the grass instead of sprinting, while mnaking the levels themselves even more boring, does make the combat a tad more interesting.

I think I need to advance a bit further before I make my final verdict, but I'm certainly feeling better about this one than I did yesterday.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
The problem with the snow level sounds just like on the original game; the excessive fogging on that snow level meant you just had to wait until the bad guys start firing at you and try to guess where they are from the direction the shots come from. For the first 10 attempts you end up dead, but eventually you memorise the positions and aim into a wall of grey before getting lucky.

Quicksave PC FPS gaming at its worst, and reason 1 why Halo gets so many good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks