Soldier Blue on 12/12 - Full Screen Only?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by GregoryMesh, Sep 20, 2006.

1. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    Soldier Blue is being released on December 12 by Lionsgate, but all the listings for it at different stores (Lasersedge, Amazon, DVD Empire) have it listed as Full Screen. I hope it's a misprint otherwise I'll just keep my Anamorphic Uncut German DVD from Kinowelt. (U.K. version is edited by 28 seconds to get BBFC certification).

2. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

Lion's Gate?? I thought this was MGM/Sony's

3. Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K Second Unit

The French company Studio Canal owns the Avco Embassy/De Laurentiis Group back catalog. The Embassy films that have been released so far by MGM and Anchor Bay were either licensed directly from Studio Canal or (I think in the case of MGM) included in pre-existing video rights agreements.

Studio Canal recently made a deal with Lion's Gate for the remaining catalog titles. I assume this includes ALL remaining unlicensed titles in the catalog, but I'm not sure.

4. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

We all know what this means. Lions' Gate will release these titles in featureless pan-and-scan editions while giving us a 3rd release of "Total Recall" and a 4th release of "T2: Judgement Day".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I know that "T2" and "Total Recall" are owned by this company as well, but StudioCanal's other titles need to be cared for also.

5. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    From one source at least (http://entertainment.circuitcity.com...d&store=Movies
    this will be both wide and full screen, and the uncut R-rated version, if you can stomach it. It's a weird movie but I've always liked it. Starts out with a violent attack on the Cavalry and then, for almost an hour, becomes a goofy semi-comedy with a rather stiff Peter Strauss as a surviving officer teamed up with Candice Bergen as a white woman who spent many years among indians and grew to respect them more than her own race. She is a profane young lady - her dialog just doesn't work for the 1860's background (did she speak like that among the Cheyenne?), and Bergen hadn't yet developed much acting skill. Then, for the final twenty minutes, the movie reverses itself again and quite graphically depicts the (unnamed in the film, but quite obvious) Sand Creek Massacre, led by a truly facist asshole named Col. John Chivington (named Col. Iverson in the film). Extremely gruesome (many thought exceedingly so) and tough to watch, but this one section of the film is really quite close to documented accounts of the event, and clearly the writer (John Gay) and director (Ralph Nelson) wanted to put an end to the revisionism regarding our treatment of Native Americans that had been perpetrated by our history books in schools for a century. That they might have gone a bit over the top to set the record straight seems rather understandable to me. A subsequent film, LITTLE BIG MAN, was able to find a better balance, but BLUE'S intentions were honorable, and I am hoping this is finally the DVD release I've been waiting for...

6. sarah99

sarah99 Agent

Here is a look at some screen grabs from the German version if it's of any interest

"Soldier Blue"

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Since this was released today, I was wondering if anyone knows if this is widescreen and the uncut version? Thanks.

8. Manus

Manus Second Unit

According to axelmusic.com here :

http://www.axelmusic.com/resources/c...2236205692.jpg

It is 115 mins long and 2:35:1 (dvd widescreen ????????= anamorphic ??) and original Mono. Lionsgate are getting very close to the top of my s*** pile of studios like Sony,Fox, Disney and Paramount.

~M~

9. David Com

David Com Agent

Got the disc yesterday, and it is indeed 2:35 widescreen anamorphic. It runs 115 min, and the transfer is equal too, if not a touch better than the German disc (which I also own). Didn't have time to watch the full film to see if it is completely uncut, but since the PAL version runs 110 min., it seems like a good bet that everything is there.