Soldering speaker cable extension

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

My friend has some altec lansing 4.1 multimedia speakers for his computer. (ACS 56 powered by Sound Blaster Live)

He wants to extend the speaker cables so he can better position the surrounds.

I was wondering if it's ok to use the same gauge wire and soldered an extension that would increase the length of the speaker wire a few feet.

Would there be bad quality? Or will it sound ok.

The speakers arn't the best quality and he is by no means an audiophile, so would he be happy the way it turns out? Anyone try it with computer speakers?

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

im guessing with that setup it wouldnt make a difference

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

With computer speakers you could just twist them together and wrap EACH with electricians tape. I did this a few years ago. If he's already got a solder kit, might as well do it that way, but otherwise tape will work fine.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Surely someone makes an off-the-shelf extension cable for this..?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Soldering is the most reliable longest lasting method of connecting wires and does not have to be (should not be) disassembled, cleaned, and re-done every 3 to 5 years. Now I am not suggesting that everyone go out and buy a soldering kit. However it is at least rumored that for some folks switching to a new expensive name brand cable, the better sound was due to the fresh remaking, replugging, or rescrewing of connections which cleaned the contacts, not the name brand of the cable.
    If the added length was of 12 gauge or thicker wire, even though the original wires still in place may have been thinner, there will be no noticeable additional degradation (unless we are talking dozens of additional feet).
    Any off the shelf cable will do. It is less clumsy to cut the spade lugs or banana plugs off one end to connect to the existing cable, but it is also possible to solder directly to the bananas or spades or to wrap them to the other cable's ends using a short length of thin bare wire.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm