Solar System - Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Can someone suggest a good "solar system" documentary? Something along the lines of the BBC's Walking With Dinosaurs but dealing with outer space? Has to have realistic special effects visiting each planet in our galaxy as well as other celestial bodies.

2. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if something exists on DVD, but I do recall reading a review of a Windows program that does this kind of thing. IIRC it had a combination of real photos and simulated video of all the planets, allows you to place yourself in any particular point and view the Earth or stars from there, and data on the planets. I have no idea what the name of the program was, but it was reviewed in either Astronomy or Sky & Telescope. A trip to your local library to use the Periodical Guide could help.

Also, there are tons of astronomy related programs out there, some of which do parts of what it sounds like you're looking for and are free. Try doing some Googling.

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    There is a 2-disc DVD put out by the BBC called "The Planets" and wondered how it is? Problem is I don't think it's available in Region 1?

A&E has a similar 4-disc set but also wondered if this contains the same material as in the Region 2 set?

Also, another DVD called "Planetary Traveler". How is it?

Does any of the above fit my bill?

4. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

For the Sun itself, I would suggest Solarmax which is released by Slingshot Entertainment. Great IMAX documentary featuring actual footage of the sun from satellite views. I believe I saw it for $12.99 at a Best Buy in the states for the single disc version...the 2-disc includes a soundtrack CD. Also should mention that it includes a DTS track. Enjoy.[​IMG]