What's new

Solar Eclipse 2017 preparations (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The center of total blackout area isn't terribly far from me, about 120 miles away, in Wyoming.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looking at the map, I see it will be going almost directly over Craters of the Moon National Monument in SE Idaho. That would be an incredible place to catch pics of it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The problem with COM is lack of parking. Government sources predict 300,000 out of state tourists will descend on the total area in Idaho, making massive traffic jams.

The total path passes about 30 - 40 miles north of Boise. Unfortunately between the two lies the front range of the Rockies, with only a handful of small twisty 2 lane roads crossing between them.

Boise itself will see 99+% totality.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Family and I are headed up to Oregon to see this. We made our reservations 8 months ago and even then were only able to find a Motel 6 with rooms available.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The problem with COM is lack of parking. Government sources predict 300,000 out of state tourists will descend on the total area in Idaho, making massive traffic jams.

The total path passes about 30 - 40 miles north of Boise. Unfortunately between the two lies the front range of the Rockies, with only a handful of small twisty 2 lane roads crossing between them.

Boise itself will see 99+% totality.
You're right about Craters. Since it's just on a little, 2 lane highway, I expect it'll be jammed.

And I've driven 55/95 North of Boise many times. Yeah, not exactly an ideal situation. Nice and scenic, though.

Plus, no doubt the stretch of I-25 I was looking at, about 30 miles East of Casper, WY. will be jammed. It's a Monday, so I'll be working anyway.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Try ID-21 from Boise up to Stanley. One great road in most conditions but no shoulders and trees overhead. Normally one of the glorious Miata roads in the US.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The total eclipse path isn't far from our place in South Carolina. We will not be down there at that time, unfortunately. I am not sure if it will be worthwhile buying accessories to take any photos from up here in Michigan.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Any tips you can share? I am going to try going to my usual haunt at a nearby reservoir / wetlands. I think the eclipse will be in view if I frame similarly to these shots. The first photo is pretty much due east, while the second and third photos are more southeast facing.

29711655126_a7c94875e0_b.jpg

29711655886_26bd73efb4_b.jpg

29455555270_66c1d49679_b.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Stable base
filter and sunglasses
Umbrella over the setup so you can see camera back
While you can't choose the time of the eclipse you otherwise can choose what time of day to shoot the sun. Don't try to do it mid day, you will crack your neck trying to aim too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks