Softwares used in HTPC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Watt, Nov 13, 2003.

1. David Watt

David Watt Auditioning

Am new to the HTPC scene and would like to learn more about the software aspects of the HTPC.

1)I would like to know what types of software you guys use on the HTPC (other than the OS, of course!), especially to process the audio and display.

2)I have read and heard about doubling the scanlines of the display with the HTPC. What types of softwares are involved?

3) How is PowerStrip useful in the HTPC?

Any relevent input will be very much appreciated.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

1) Read my review of THEATERTEK posted here last year- that software is still pretty popular. I also use dscaler for processing incoming signals like cable or VHS. Some guys are using complex front ends at this point (to pull dvd rips off of media servers, and they have a nice front end apps that provide navigation)-- but it's not really my bag.

You can always read the excellent area on AVS forum for the latest and greatest in the PVR and HD tuning realm- two areas I'm not too into it.

2) I'm not sure what you're thinking of- but I would suggest reading the basic intro to HTPC in the FAQ & PRIMER (link in my sig) - also authored by me. The idea is that HDTVs are glorified computer monitors and will sync to computer resolutions. You don't double the scanlines of a display- rather you simply provide a processed video signal on par with what the maximum your display is capible of (supplying scaled DVD at 1080i for example).

3) Powerstrip is, imho, an absolute. While the program is anything but basic, and certainly not intuitive--- it allows pixel by pixel adjustments to desktop resolutions, including altering scan rates and other settings allowing you to best be compatible with your display... keeping in mind powerstrip can only do what your video card can support-- it is srtill a wonderful tool.

-V