software to make my own "mix" cd's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

can anyone recommend (if it exists) some good software to use to make my own "mix" cd? i don't plan on doing this a lot (at least not initially) so if it's shareware that'd be even better. but, if the program blows me away then i wouldn't mind paying for it.

i'm figuring i can take my cd tracks, convert them to .wav files, then somehow use the program to add all the .wav files and then somehow mix them?

i suppose the software would need to utilize various fade capabilities (in/out/timed/cross), etc.

anyway, just wondering.

thanks!

2. Rob Behm

Rob Behm Extra

Nero, lotsa options and professional quality.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks guys. i'll have to check them out. acid forge sounds particularily suited to my needs! just not sure if i'm ready to spend 100 bucks just yet... [​IMG]
    does anyone have any rec's for shareware?

4. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

MusicMatch Jukebox IMHO is the easiest way to make quick mix CD’s. You can use it to rip music from your CD’s into a MP3 collection, make custom play lists, and burn CD’s all from the same interface. You can get a free version but you are limited to a 2x burn speed. But if you are only going to make a few CD that should be ok. It’s well worth the 19.99 registration o get the key to unlock the program to its full version that adds faster rip speeds and lets you burn at your CD-RW’s max speed.

5. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

You might want to try goldwave. It doesn't have a deal that you can do scratches (that I have found) or things like that, but you can fade in/out, add silence, remove hiss, add bass, etc. It is shareware, but to liscense it is only like $40 I think. It is a very good progam. I believe you can download a trial version at www.goldwave.com

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

coolness. thanks for the additional links guys! i'll see what's out there. i didn't even think to check zdnet! [​IMG]

7. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

I use Xings Audiocatalyst to rip my CD tracks from original .wav files to .mp3 files. This way, If I want to leave them on my HD, they are not huge. Gold wave will give you the options to edit files in .wav format, and you can use, winamp to convert any mp3 to .wav. I then use easy cd creator, to make an "audio Cd" which inturn converts the mp3 files back to .wav so they will play on virtually all new CD players with no problem. Best bet is to use good media. I find the green backed cdrs are better for media, while the deep blue are better for data. No basis for this preference, just my opinion.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi juan -

if i understand your post correctly:

1. you're creating a .wav file
    2. converting it to mp3
    3. converting back to .wav
    4. then copying to your audio cd[/list=1]

if so, why would you convert to mp3 first? i know you're trying to save space on your hard drive, but wouldn't your audio cd suffer significant loss because of the .wav --> mp3 conversion?

of course, if i'm mis-reading your post then just call me an idiot and move on. [​IMG]

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

11. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

Also, if you use Goldwave, download Lame. They will work together and you can save in mp3 format. I might suggest also, if you don't already have it, get Nero. It is a very good burning program. Personally, I prefer it over other programs such as EZ CD Creator. I've had much better luck with it.

12. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Ted, Audio catalyst converts the original .wav files on my Audio CD's to MP3, I do this because I keep a copy on my file server for music distribution. I wish there was a way to rip at a higher bitrate with it, but now that I have read some of the posts here, I will try a different program. I just don't have the time I used to, to surf the net and find new programs. At any rate, after saving to HD the MP3 file, I then use EZCD to make mix cd's in .wav format. Obviously there are better ways to do this, and if time permits, I will seek out one of the programs recommended here, and try to avoid the numerous steps I have taken.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey juan - it sounds like you're still utilizing the mp3 format when burning your cd's???
    i'm definitely not an expert here, but i suspect that's not the best way to go. if possible, you should keep the "original" .wav file when burning...it seems that using a mp3 source wouldn't give you all the "bits" you could/should be using.
    maybe buzz can comment here...sounds like he knows what he's talking about. [​IMG]

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer