What's new

software to catalog your dvd collection: Which one do you use? (1 Viewer)

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using dvdaficionado.com for the past while. I find it pretty good for my casual tracking.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I use:

DVDAF Easily the best free catalog available that I have seen so far.

Guzzlefish - The updates are sometimes very far behind, but they do have a great amount of titles, and the options to list VHS, CDs, etc.

DVDSpot - Which is tedious, and that is why I have yet to have a complete listing.

www.lddb.com - Laserdisc Database

Ryan

DieterW

Agent
DVD Profiler (free version)

DVD Profiler has some advantages and disadvantages. One of its advantages is the huge number of DVDs in its database. If it is hard to find a review of a certain DVD on the internet, you may still find details about the DVD in DVD Profiler. Websites often don't mention essential information, such as the presence of subtitles in a language I understand. In DVD Profiler, that information can often be retrieved. If you only buy big titles, you'll never have the problem I now discussed. However, if you like international shopping and are interested in purchasing movies in Spain and Italy, DVD Profiler really is a blessing.

The disadvantage is that everybody can edit the profiles, which means that every m*r*n can ruin a perfectly edited dvd profile. Many people change the profile based on information they read on the back cover, even though they are not guaranteed error-free. One mistake I often encounter is the DVD cover stating the DVD is R1, while in reality the DVD is R0 (checked with PC software). So when you edit the profile correctly, somebody may change the region information afterwards because the cover states otherwise.

For my needs, DVD Profiler usually is sufficient.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
DVD Profiler has the option of locking down a DVD title once you are happy with it. I use this everytime I view one of my movies in the collection. I review the information, make changes as I see fit, and lock it down. No matter what anyone does it will not change the info I locked down. I have tried most of the ones mentioned here and for me DVD Profiler is the one to keep. It also let me print out a very nice coffee table book of my collection, which always brings up conversations from my guest.

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I stripped the UPCs from GF, and then imported them into DVDSpot; wasn't sluggish, and there were only a couple I had to add to my collection after the import; it imported 150+ titles ok from a basic CSV. It's by no means perfect (The 'Watched' category seems a bit odd, and I'm not sure I want to schedule viewings of DVDs online for all the world to see).

No magic bullets yet. I'm surprised that no 'real' software companies have jumped on this and so many of these solutions rely on community led efforts.

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
For my catalog program (on my Mac) I wanted to have the ability to generate customizable web pages and printouts. The only tool that I saw that did that well was Readerware.

Delicious Monster is very pretty, but only has the capability to print in one format option. Granted I could generate a PDF file to use as a web site, but that's not what I'm looking for. It can't print (or keep track, I believe) custom fields, like disk # (I have a 403-disk player).

DVDPedia didn't seem to have the ability to customize it's web-site output.

Readerware is very flexible in that regard. Although, as others have mentioned, "it ain't pretty".

Brandon

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
I've used DVD Aficionado for the last 3 years, will continue to do so and donate on a regular basis. hell, if not for them, my library would have never been featured in the NY Times nor would I have got written up in the new book, "The DVD Revolution".;)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like in this regard, anyway, DVDPedia has the same functionality as ReaderWare, but again it would be helpful if someone who uses DVDPedia (or ideally has also used ReaderWare) can chime in. I certainly need to create my own format of HTML, and do so in ReaderWare, so this is a non-negotiable feature for me.

The main thing that bothers me about DVDPedia/Delicious Monster is that they seem to very limited (Amazon centric) on where they get their data from, and Amazon is hardly the end all and be all of CD/DVD/Book data. ReaderWare uses a vast selection of sources, which if you have CD/DVD/Book collections as esoteric and international as mine is a big deal. ReaderWare even allows you to create your own store "scraper" interfaces, but that's not for the faint of heart or short of time.

Ted

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

I bought Delicious Library the day it came out and really like it. It's a bit slow, and is still missing a few features I would like to see, but I think they'll come with time. They just updated to version 1.1 today. It's free to give it a try. I think you can import up to 25 titles with the demo.

Mike-McG

Grip
I'm bringing this old thread back from the dead, hopefully no one minds! :)

I have a friend who's starting a brand new DVD collection site. Everything is free, so I'm not here to sell anything, I'm more so just looking for ideas, opinions, and such.

www.flixsociety.com

Of course, being that it's still new, we don't have a massive amount of film/DVD listings yet, but it's open to user submissions, so feel free!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Does this mean you are cutting your dvdaf ties, sir? The site does seem to need a bit of work, why for no actor, director, producer, writer listings?

Mike-McG

Grip
Eventually I hope to move away from DVDAF. I'm not really a fan of the guy who runs it, and it seems like needed updates take forever. DVDAF 2.0 is being released soon, and it doesn't impress me much.

As far as Flix Society, all of the information you mentioned is on the site. If you were looking at a DVD, just click on the "Film Details" tab on top, and it will give you film-specific info.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Ah, I see, I looked only at the contribution screen as none of the titles I searched for were in the database. I didn't see a form to fill out to submit actors, directors, etc...

I didn't quite understand this:

How do I find the URL of the movie?

Kain_C

Screenwriter
DVDProfiler here.

I can't stand dvd-aficionado. If I click a link to someone's DVD collection and see aficionado as their database, I don't even bother looking anymore.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
I agree with Kain on this as well, dvd-aficionado is just to cumbersome. DVD-Profiler is hard to beat. I prefer to use and view the data base of users on DVD Profiler.

Ozzie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks