What's new

Software to analyze room acoustics (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,

This isn't all that BASIC a question- so I'm actually going to move this to ADVANCED. Usually RTA discussions go on in DIY/Advanced!

-Vince

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
Question is do you want measurement or prediction?
For prediction based on literature absorption coefficients (where you define your room shape) you can use CARA at www.rhintek.com. It will give you a great idea as to the room modes and locations of those. Particularly if you have a weird shaped room (L-shape, octagonal, etc.).
For measurement you need to look somewhere else.
Take care.

Denward

Supporting Actor
I just messed around a few days ago with this:
www.spectraplus.com
Free 30 day trial.
I ran a cable (looks like mini-headphone jacks on both ends) between my Radio Shack SPL (you could probably use a microphone also) and my laptop's microphone input. I used AVIA test tones and got some cool results. I ended up changing the position of my sub's phase switch to eliminate a hump at around 50 Hz.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Please be aware if you want to use Spectraplus and purchase it great. If you don't purchase it afrter the 30 day trial the Software Protection "feature" cannot be removed without reformatting your hard disk.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Denward,

No, you can never completely remove the software without re-formatting the hard disk. They do this so you can't do another 30 day demo, but it is intrusive.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at this thread and now I am curious. Is there a place that can explain what all that stuff means. I would love to correct for dips and whatnots in order to get the best sound out of my system. Thanks.

Mike

Anthony_Alfonso

Auditioning
Thanks for all the advice, I actually forgot that I asked this question, been looking for a new car for the wife. I can't wait to check all the sites. Thanks again!!

Anthony_Alfonso

Auditioning
BruceD there is software called cleansweap, it is used to clean up your computer. Don't know if it still has the install monitor feature, it probably does though. This program will monitor all files and registy entries installed on your computer!

BruceD

Screenwriter
Regarding SpectraPlus copy protection removal.

I can't find the discussion thread from the actual users that were complaining about this. Probably not on this board. I do remeber the person talking about it was a longtime forum member and someone I trusted.

Anyway, they said no matter what they used or did afterwards there was no way to remove the disk sector changes this program made without reformatting the hard disk.

I never used this program because I bought ETF first.

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce - yeah that's what I've found as well. I tried looking for files, registry entries, anything and couldnt. If it IS a sector change, then it could be un-done with a low-level disk editor like Norton Disk Editor or some other hex editor that lets u modify sectors directly.

gotta hand it to these guys for pulling off a somewhat successeful way of limiting their software.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Bruce

The discussion was on HTT and I'm the person that posted the info.

Anthony_Alfonso

CleanSweep will not remove all the SpectraPlus program. Spectra writes to a specific cluster on the HD and can't be moved or written over. So the only way to get rid of the install is to reformat.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Thanks Thomas;)
I didn't want to prevent anyone from using their preferred spftware, just wanted to pass-on info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks