Software like windows explorer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sam Davatchi, May 27, 2004.

1. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

I need software like windows explorer where you can see the size of each folder alongside of the folder like normal files. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Continuously? They tend not to do that, because it's an expensive operation to look inside the folder(s) and add everything up.

If you're trying to figure out where all your free disk space went so you can do some cleanup, try JDiskReport.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Thanks! I tried foldersizes and DiskView. Not tried JDiskReport yet. Is it better than those two in having more functions?

Anyway I did a very very bad rookie mistake which is kind of unbelievable to me. I wanted to free space on my windows hard disk and saw a directory in windows called "installer" which kind of seemed like a temporary directory to me, so I deleted it! Big mistake! I was able to use the repair functions of the Office installation but can’t use the repair or remove function of Visual Studio or Norton SystemWorks. So I’m kind of mad right now!

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Dunno what the others do. JDiskReport does an extensive analysis (takes a while) and provides charts that show how much disk space is used in which folders, and you can drill in, and more.