Software I'm writing...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven K, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Maybe this should be in the Computer Section but it'll get more traffic here. I figured that some of my fellow HTFers might get a use out of this.

Here's what the application is: a program that allows the user to control each and every Window that is open on your system.

You might not know it, but your system is actually running hundreds of windows that you probably dont know about. Most are hidden so you dont see them.

I currently use the AT&T 77 offer for my net connection from home. For $7 a month, you get unlimited net access and 7 cents a minute LD. The downside: a "floating menu bar" that sits on top of all other windows and flashed ads. Perhaps you've seen this with other services like NetZero.

Well, Im tired of looking at them. I downloaded some apps that can hide these Windows, but I couldnt find one that did exactly what I wanted. So I decided to write one myself.

I have it 50% done right now. Right now, you can Hide a Visible Window, Show a hidden window, and re-position the window anywhere on the screen. If you are somewhat familiar with Windows, you know that you can reposition any window you like off the screen. For example if you have an ad bar that you dont want to see, you can reposition it horizontally so that, technically it is still there, but you cant see it. This is how I am getting rid of my adbar at this point.

I am planning to add the ability to kill all pop-ups as well.

Anyway, I figured that some of you might find this useful. If so, post a reply here (dont email me personally, I really dont check that email account very frequently). The app is completely free, of course, and if you have any suggestions then let me know.

PS: In case anyone was wondering, the application is written in C++, compiled with Microsoft Visual C++, and of course, makes heavy use of the Windows Platform SDK (WinAPI). I've only tested it with 2000, but it should work on all other platforms (will test with 98 and NT tomorrow).

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Steven: Sounds cool! I don't really have a use for it, but I like the idea.
    When it's done, make yourself a nice installer script and put it on download.com. You could make it freeware, or just setup a PayPal account and say "If you like it, send me a buck." Might make some money while you're at it. [​IMG]

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor