Software for copying to external drive

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Moore Maxx, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Moore Maxx

Moore Maxx Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

For Xmas was given an Iomega 80 GB external drive to backup my files. Would really like to back up my complete hard drive to this external drive but am looking for a good program to do so.

Iomega automatic backup and Norton Ghost came with the drive. This version of automatic backup works but only with selected files, not entire drive. I emailed there support and they recommended the newer version that doesn't work with Win 98, which I have.

I've read to many bad things about Norton Ghost to want to install.

I tried the trial version of Smart Sync Pro but after it runs for awhile, it locks up and I have to reboot. Emailed their support but have been getting the "run around".

Can anyone suggest some other software that will copy the entire drive over to the external drive.

Thanks,

Maxx

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Ghost is excellent and will do exactly what you want.

3. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

Yeah I have Ghost installed from Norton system works, I have yet to have a problem.

Go get Norton system works, You wont be sorry its a great program..

4. Moore Maxx

Moore Maxx Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your suggestions.

Are you using Ghost 2003 or the new 9.0?

9.0 won't work with my computer using Win 98 and I've heard that 2003 boots only in DOS.

Maxx

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Version 2003 will boot to a DOS mode with limited USB activity.

9.0, however, is a product that abandons the old basis for Ghost, which went significantly unaltered since Symantec bought them out years before, and trades it out for PowerQuest DriveImage 7.0 logic, slightly improved. PQ DI 7.0 was a pretty solid product for copying to external hard drives while within Windows, etc.

Note, that newer utilities will, by and large, begin to support XP and 2000 only (example: Ghost 9.0/DI 7.0 require Microsoft .NET Services) this is because of the way they handle live duplication of the registry and other normally locked files via shadow copy [​IMG]