1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Software for copying DVDs--Suggestions?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Saru, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Saru

Saru Auditioning

I'd appreciate suggestions on a good software package for copying DVDs. I just want to make copies of discs of my family's home movies, so I don't need anything that is for getting around copyrights. I don't need anything TOO fancy, either, just exact copies [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Like transferring VHS to DVD? That type of thing would require a video Capture card as well. On top of that you will need MPeg Encoding software which should come with the capture card. But for higher quality you will want to do MPeg 2 encoding for you DVDs software for that may be a little more expensive. I recommend the Dazzle DVD Station it is a capture card that plugs into the USB port. It also does the encoding for you. All you have to do from there is have a DVD Recorder. The software for recording onto a DVD should come with it. If for some reason you want more you can always go with Easy CD/DVD Creator by Roxio.

3. Saru

Saru Auditioning

I'm interested in DVD to DVD. I had our home movies professionally transferred from 8mm to DVD (wonderful!) but the company wants $35/copy to make additional sets of the movies. I have a DVD burner I use for data backups, so it makes sense for me to make the additional copies myself, if I could find a good software package.

4. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I recommend Easy CD/DVD creator by Roxio for that. It works great. It will cost you about $100

5. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

What I find funny about this is that, when you wanna do Family DVD, you wanna do fancy stuffs. When you wanna violate copyright laws, you do exact copies.

6. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

7. Saru

Saru Auditioning

Roxio looks like just what I want. Thank you [​IMG]

8. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

DVDDecrypter's ISO mode is the best. And it's free.

9. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

How much did it cost to transfer 8mm to DVD? How was the actual transfer done? I imagine that the simplest solution would be to digitally record off of a projected image, but if an affordable transfer directly from film can be done, I'd love to look into it. I have many movies from when I was very small that I haven't seen if 30 years.

10. Jason:Goo

Jason:Goo Auditioning

11. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

There is nothing shady about asking this question....

Making exact copies of home movies is perfectly legal... Besides, the person said right in the first post they aare in no way concerned with getting around copy protection...

12. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

If he was asking how to re-encode it to make it fit on a single-layer disc, I would then say.... it sounds fishy.

What software did the DVD burner come with?
    Most stuff has the facilities to make simple DVD copies, like Nero, Roxio, Xpress, etc.

I make a "home video DVD" every year. My family is fairly spread out, so I'll send them a DVD for christmas so they can see what we are doing.
    Actually, I usually make a mix of CVDs and DVDs since DVD-R media is still kinda expensive, while CD-Rs are a few cents each (but use the same MPG file).

nick