Software for CD Jukebox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HarleyMYK, Apr 27, 2002.

1. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Agent

I am looking at buying a CD jukebox, probably a Sony M555ES, but I am a little freaked out by the thought of having to type in 400 titles and artists. Short of a slinky, is there a better way to do this? I also thought of just keeping a list sorted by title and artist on top of the jukebox. Can anyone recommend software that works with CDDB and allows you to put your CDs into your computer and efficiently generate such a database?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Harley, though not the same thing, I am dubbing all the store-bought CDs in my Sony megachangers to CD-Rs with CD TEXT via my computer burner. The CD-Rs have disc and song titles and artist names. I am using the Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 program to make CD-Rs, and it's a very easy program to use. While it takes quite a bit of time to make all the CD-Rs, it will be worth it in the end. I will then have the store-bought CDs in the jewel cases for use in my better players.

3. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Actually, a Slink-e is the best choice if you get a Sony changer. Another option is WinTrax, but it is not able to read disc ID's from the player itself, so loading discs is more of a pain than with a Slink-e/CDJ.

4. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Agent

The great thing about the slink-e is that it will look through your disks in the changer. The bad thing is that it needs a PC with an internet connection to be on and attached to be useful. I was kind of hoping for something where I did not need to dedicate a computer to the audio system, since there isn't one close to it in my house.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

5. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Agent

OK, I did a mess more searches and found a something that does what I want!
    http://www.collectorz.com/music/
    Of course, I am now thinking about hooking up my laptop with a wireless connection and using it with a Slink-e. Has anyone else tried this? My laptop has TV out and I could hook up a wireless mouse and leyboard. Hmmm. Seems to make sense. I use my laptop for business about three times a year - at which point it is critical. But the rest of the time it just sits around.

6. John Sully

7. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I'll vouch for the collectorz.com stuff, I own a copy and it's great for keeping track of discs... And especially great for printing that paper report to put in a binder with the changer locations of all your discs...

I will eventually buy some of their other stuff for DVD's as well... It connects to IMDB to download info.

-aaron

8. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

Something even better IMO, that would allow you to use your CD player as a real Jukebox.

The real problem with a 400 disc changer isn’t the input of all the disc names, you only have to do that once, then just input the new discs as you get them, CDDB and other auto data entry systems IMO aren’t worth the price for a one time use, it’s very easy to input a few discs at a time as you buy them after the initial cataloging of your collection, plus you may want to make special abbreviations that you will understand and be able to easily read on the completely inept display that all CD changers have.

The real problem IMO for having all your music in a changer is easy access to each disc and Track, unfortunately no CD changer will allow the entry of the song titles so the idea that it will work like the nomenclature suggests (CD Jukebox) is fantasy, Unless….

Unless you get a Pronto TSU2000 or better and use SNL (SuperNudeList) with a few modifications, this way you can have access to every song on all of your CD’s and have the ability to play them just like a Jukebox, as far as I know I’m the only one doing this, I’ve even talked to Leo Nudel (Wrote the code for SNL) and many on Remote Central and no one seems to get it. After the task of entering all the Discs and the Track names and a few mod’s to the SNL main page you can simply touch the songs you want and it will add them to a list for playing (up to 32 steps, Tracks or discs) and it works on the fly so you can add to the list wile playing just like a Jukebox. It’s a bit of work at first but well worth it and if Leo adds some code that I suggested to the latest release then it will be even easier to add new discs, I must say that this has been the single best upgrade to my system I have ever had, it allows non stop music of just the song’s you want with such ease that even my girlfriend can use it wile drinking a Beer.

If you’re interested I’ll send anyone my CCF file for my Pronto and instructions on how to do this. As far as I’m concerned this blows away anything I’ve seen from any automated entry system since you can use it every day. BTW this will as far as I know only work with Sony Mega disc changers that have the Program feature, I haven’t tried it with any other brands. I have a CDP-CM555ES 400 disc changer that I’m using it on now.

9. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

For my rig of 3 Sony changers, Slnke is the king.

Automated retrieval of all CD info, including tracks and covers; multiple playlists; capability to deal with MP3, manage my receiver and other gear via IR. Coupled with HomeSeer, Xantech IR system it manages 2 room setup, controlling Lex MC-1, Denon 58xx, Dish 6000, Parasound 1500, and other assorted gear... and yes, any of home machines can manage it wia Web interface....

_zjt

10. John Sully

11. John Sully

I just started playing with a program someone has written for the Slink-e called PartyGUI. It is a full screen interface which allows you to build playlists, play selected albums or playlists and, in general, control CDJ using a remote control on a remote control friendly UI. It looks pretty cool. Since I have a video hookup from my computer to my HT, I'm going to go ahead and set it up. It should be fun.

12. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

That sounds pretty neat John, I didn't know that you could do all that with Slink-e, but for me to get my PC interfaced into my HT would be a lot of work. Also the setup I mentioned will allow you to save up to 3-play lists (using the 3 Program memory functions on the CD Player) and all you need is a Pronto with 2M of memory and the free download of SNL. If I get enough energy to fish some wire I'll probably go the Slink-e route someday.

13. John Sully

Cool. I thought you were using the favorite selections feature of the player. Unfortunately, SNL doesn't work with my RC5200 (the different hard keys cause problems for the CCF tools stuff). Check out my CCF on Remote Central to see what I was doing with the Pioneer changers I had before I went the Sony/Slink-e route.

As far as what the Slink-e can do: it can do a lot more than you think. With it's interface to the Xantech IR system you can use it as the heart of a home controller. After I get PartyGUI running I'm planning to set it up to select my favorite web radio stations (should the stupid "pay royalties" thing get shot down by congress). Having to string the RS-232, audio and video from my HT server to the receiver and Slink-e is a small price to pay for the capabilities one can get from the setup.

14. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Anyone have a good source for the Slink-e (

15. John Sully

AFAIK, Nirvis only sells direct.

16. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

John, you can get Slinke via smarthome - I belive...

but there was an effort to do a group purchase on avsforum ( look into HTPC area).

My opinion - buy direct. Nirvis is Yet Another Small Comapny, and can use every $$.

_zjt

17. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Agent

Well, I wanted to close this thread by thanking everyone.
    I am finally set with a Sony CX333ES (that I bought used), a Slink-e (bought direct from www.nirvis.com), my old laptop (which I can easily pull out of the system three times a year when I need it), and 802.11b home networking. I absolutely love that I have all my CDs available and can set up playlists very easily. This is a great setup. I was already to buy a DAC for the megachanger until I heard it. It is really very good for all but the most serious listening. I had absolutely no problems setting up the Slink-e. It came with all the needed cords. Obviously it can not label your own compilation CDs off CDDB, but easy enough to enter the few I have by hand. Then you can download all the titles to the megachanger's memo field. Very cool!