Software Flaw with the Marantz DV6400

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joel McIntosh, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Joel McIntosh

There is a flaw with the Marantz DV6400s software.

(1) Certain hybrid SACDs (and perhaps pure SACDs, but I don't have any to test) force the set-up software in the Marantz DV6400 to change the SACD setting from SACD-->MULTI-CH to SACD-->2 CH. Thus, hybrid SACDs that should be playing in 5.1 only play in 2 channel.

(2) The set-up software will hold this SACD-->2 CH setting afterwards (regardless of what SACD is playing) until you physically go into the set-up menu and change the setting back to SACD-->MULTI-CH. Of course, if an "offending" hybrid SACD is in the Marantz, the DV6400 will shift back to SACD-->2 CH, so you can only make the change back to SACD-->MULTI-CH when the 6400 is either empty or has a "non-offending" hybrid SACD inserted.

(3) I only have 6 hybrid SACDs (and no pure SACCDs), so my testing is limited. The following hybrid SACDs exhibit this problem, "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" (2003 remaster), Bob Dylan's "Oh Mercy" (2003 remaster), and Bob Dylan's "John Wesley Harding" (2003 remaster). My other hybrid SACDs (including two from the 2003 Dylan remastered series) seem to work fine and do not force the set-up settings to change.

(4) My local Marantz dealer has already swapped out my original DV6400, and I can reproduce this problem on the new 6400 I've received from the dealer.

I initially contacted Marantz three weeks ago. Five phone calls (from me) later, I was told by the technical support guy that they couldn't help and they would let an engineer know about the trouble.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

As far as #1, is it possible that the offending SACDs *only* offer a 2 ch track?

But yeah, shouldn't have to continually switch the it back to multi-ch default. FWIW, the 47ai doesn't do this. I have mine setup to default to the mc track, if present, but if not present, the setting isn't changed. Just plays the 2 ch track.

Any idea if this player is based on something else (i.e., the 8300 and 8400 are based on the 47a, and there was some speculation that the 6400 was based on the 45a. But I don't believe that 45a has the 2 ch/mc issue either.)

One thought is to bug Marantz directly, and maybe they could get you a software upgrade to fix the problem.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

My 45a behaves like the 47ai, in that I leave it MC unless I have a disc with both and want to listen to the 2CH tracks. It keeps the last setting without issue.

I would agree that it is a bit of a PITA to have to reset it every time it switches back. Not to be a pessimist, but I don't hold out much hope that am upgrade of the firmware is on the horizon, but it will not hurt to let your feelings known to Marantz.

BGL

4. Joel McIntosh

I've already talked to the Marantz people about this. Basically, they acknowledge that it's a problem, but to fix it would require a software fix. Like Brian said, I'm not holding my breath for a firmware upgrade. I basically posted the information about the flaw because I wanted others who are considering buying this unit to be aware of the problem.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

How is the player otherwise? Can you tell if it has the chroma bug? How's bass management for SACD and DVD-A? OK remote? Etc. [​IMG]

6. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I just got my wife one for Xmas, that I'm looking to hook up tomorrow. Granted, it will only be hooked up to a Sony 32" flatscreen and using the TV speakers for sound. Why you ask? Well, it puts me on the path to do a 2nd surround sound system in the family room. Already have 1 full boat system in the basement with a DV45A anchoring multi-channel audio there. Before hooking it up in the family room, I'll test it out in the man cave and report back. Have some folks over at avsforum.com waiting to hear back as well. Keep you all posted. Happy holidays by the way!!!

7. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

8. Joel McIntosh

More Marantz DV6400 trouble ... two weeks after receiving my replacement unit (see my earlier post about the device's multi-channel/2 channel trouble), my 6400 is choking on all of my CDs, SACDs, and DVDs. The 6400 just suddenly seizes up in the middle of play. To make matters worse, you can't eject the disk -- even turning off the device and unplugging it doesn't help. To get the disk out, I have to turn off the 6400 and shake it a bit and then turn it back on. Tomorrow, I'm going to talk to my dealer and see if I can just return the piece of junk. Under no circumstances would I tell a friend that he or she should invest in this model (and I'm usually a big Marantz fan).