Soffit/MDF question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Daryl RL, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Daryl RL

Daryl RL Agent

Somewhere here in the early days (not that long ago really!) of my having discovered this great forum, I saw something that gave me the impression that there might be some good reasons (acoustically?) for covering a soffit with MDF instead of drywall.

Now I have searched for any threads that have addressed this but came up with nothing remotely close. So any advice out there? Is there any difference?

THANKS!

Daryl

2. richard_v

richard_v Stunt Coordinator

That sure would be heavy, and a challenge to install. I'm in the process of covering my soffit with sheathing material. It is fiber based (I suspect much like soundboard - which is not available in my area). Over the sheeting I'm installing RC then drywall. The guts of the soffit is filled with insulation. I’m doing this because our kitchen and LAUNDRY room is directly above. I’ve noticed a difference just w/ the insulation and sheathing (partially) installed.

3. Rob McAuliffe

I'm getting ready to put 'stuff' on my walls now... what do you mean by RC? under the sheetrock...[​IMG]

4. Daryl RL

Daryl RL Agent

He probably means resilient channel. Look around at www.soundproofing.org or www.auralex.com (I think they call it RC8 there) for some explanations. Basically it reduces the contact between the drywall/sheetrock and the studs so as to reduce some of the sound transmission.

From what I understand it can make a big difference in reducing sound transmission although there are some here (someone jump in and help me!) who think it allows walls/ceilings to have too much "give" and maybe too much resonance.

My plan is to cover the walls of the basement HT without using RC and then later cover the back side of the walls to the furnace room using RC if necessary (if sound of furnace carries to rest of basement or sound of HT carries into furnace room and beyond). My space is too small and especially ceilings are too low to be giving up an inch or two inside the HT room!

5. Scott Andrews

For what it is worth. When I completed my Theater I used product called Homasote. It is a sound board designed to go up before your sheet rock. I have found it has worked great. The Homasote is light and is easily cut down from its 4x8 sheets to the size you need. It was recommended by my designer.

You cannot hear the theater upstairs except for the boom boom of the subs. If you would like more info let me know. I manage a Home Depot in Atlanta and I could possibly find you a source for it. We don't sell it any more.
    Scott

6. Rob McAuliffe

After cruising the sites mentioned above by Daryl, I'm inclined to go with the Homasote beneath the drywall and I want to do some type of fabric covered ? at the 4' and lower area, because I heard that cuts the resonance down. I should be able to find Homasote the Seattle area, Lowes has a 'sound board' of unknown origins...? Did you glue the sound board and then short screws through the drywall?

7. Scott Andrews

I glued and screwed the Homasote. I used a P&L ahdesive or a Liquid nails would work. No need to complicate adhesive use. I also screwed it up using an aggressive thread sheetrock screw. I then applied the sheetrock with screws only using a longer screw to compensate for the Homasote.
    I'm excited you are using the Homasote, I think you will appreciate the benefits. My family does.
    I will look around for a source of information for Homasote.
    Scott

8. Scott Andrews

Here is a link for Homasote.
    http://www.homasote.com/where.html

I used a fabric made by a company called Guilford of Maine. for my sound panels. It may work for your walls.

Scott

9. Daryl RL

Daryl RL Agent

Scott--

Since this thread started out about soffits - just to clarify, did you use the Homasote on all surfaces or just soffit or just ceiling & soffit?

Thanks,
    Daryl

10. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

11. Rob McAuliffe

I'm really going to have to want it! The closest Homasite dealer is in Oregon! Sound Panels? are these free standing? or attached to the walls? And Maine is out of the question for fabric![​IMG]

12. Scott Andrews

My sound panels were made by Benton Brothers Solutions in Kennesaw Georgia. They are attached to the walls. They are also part of my front wall of the theater. Basically they are fiberglass insulation panels made by Owens Corning with a hardened resin edge. Then covered by Guilford of Maine fabric.
    http://www.bentonbrothers.com/
    Hope this helps.
    Scott

13. Scott Andrews

Here is a link to the Guilford Of Maine fabric company. They make the fabric that will allow you to cover panels and allow sound to pass through.

http://productplan.guilfordofmaine.c...hProductStatus

Scott

If I was any good at this picture thing I would be able to post some photos of my theater up here.