What's new

SOCOM - Single Player (1 Viewer)

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I know the majority of the posts have been about Online Socom… and I completely agree, it’s an amazing game. But, I don’t think I’ve seen any posts here about the single player campaign. I have to tell you, it’s excellent.

I’ve had Socom from day one of release, and just now started the single player, I’ve been online ever since. Every time I would go to NEW GAME, something would make me push down to ONLINE, and off I went for hours. Well, I finally got the game going.

First of all, it’s a very good idea to spend another $14 on the official guide from Prima. Or wait for IGN to do a guide. This game is difficult if you don’t know what to do next. I mean, you’ll probably get through the missions, but not the way you should. I went gunning and killing all over and got through 2 missions, but to do them with stealth and using your team, is outstanding. The guide will “guide” you through what to do, and by the 3rd mission, you’ll have a good grip on what to do, what to say, and how to do it.

Bottom line, if you have the game, take a break from online and try the campaign, it’s surprisingly very good.

TF

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
You mean I can play this game by myself too!?!

I've played about 6 missions of the single player and it really is quite good, and definately not easy. I'll be going back and replaying this game solo from the start, just to try getting all the secondary objectives. The thing I'm most impressed with is the implementation of the headset unit, being able to give commands to your squad and receive updated instructions is really cool. The enemy AI is pretty decent, too. Overall, it's nice to play a shooter that rewards patience and stealth rather than the typical run-n-gun.

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Travis, I also love the way you can hit SELECT, and then see a movie about what the objective is. If you aren't sure what to do, it plays a great video clip of where to go, and what to do. I love that.
Great game. Oh, you're Packers did well today :)
TF

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Yea, forgot about that. It's great when your not 100% clear how to accomplish all those secondary missions.

BTW, I would only call the Packers performance acceptable. Way too close of a game.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
The single player is great, & I would have bought it later. The online stuff is just icing on the cake.
You really have to be sneaky,though.
Some of the missions get really tough...

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I keep forgetting that this game has a single player mode. I played the first mission when I first got it to get used to the controls, but ever since then it's all been online.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
You really have to be sneaky,though.
Some of the missions get really tough...
Boy, you said it. Maybe I just suck, :) but it took me an hour and 49 minutes to make in through the temple ruins level, where you have to rescue the ambassador and his wife.
I enjoy these stealthy-type games so much more than the "run in with guns blazing, shoot everything that moves" FPS . . .

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of this at Kmart last night. And since I don't yet have broadband, I'm limited to playing this offline. And it is still extremely fun. Although I do have problems getting my teammates to do things on occasion.

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks