What's new

SOCOM: let the cheats begin? (1 Viewer)

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
So was it just a matter of time before online playing began to see the rise of the cheaters? I don't have any first hand knowledge yet, but I've been hearing some whispers lately that codes are popping up that make online playing less and less attractive. Mostly that the killing of opponents is becoming more difficult.

Anyone know if there is any truth to this? Guess I was hoping that the set up of the game wouldn't allow SOCOM to turn into another Unreal cheat festival.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
the only way cheats could be used is if the programmers put cheat codes in the game. So yell at them.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Nope, Joshua. Thanks to the wonderful GameShark tool, it's possible for people to cheat in pretty much any game released so far. There were SOCOM cheats/hacks using the GS right as SOCOM was released.

The Gameshark acts as a 'memory editor' - basically you can edit the code/memory of any program running on the PS2.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I don't see where I was yelling at anyone?:confused: Just curious if there was any more information out there or not. But thanks for playing.....

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I'm not convinced that there are any Codeshark cheats for SOCOM. There are rumors, but no codes. Just do a search. You'll find plenty of discussions and supposed "first-hand acconts," but you won't find the codes.

There are glitches in which people can fall behind a wall or box and you can't se them but they can see you, but that's a bug, not a Codeshark cheat. It's also pretty easy to figure out if someone is doing that cheat and vote them off.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Right, except I don't think you can vote members of the opposing force off, right? Lagging is a pain and I know that can make it tough at times.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
One time I dropped a guy with a claymore, I then emptied around 10 rounds in him as he got up at point blank. He didn't die. I attributed it to lag at the time, but now I wonder (he didn't seem like he was lagging and the claymore did drop him and I did get killed right after).

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Ryan: I've had weird things like that happen to me as well, but things retunred to normal in the next round, which led me to think it was a weird happenstance.

Who knows. The game is still more fun than I've ever had playing online.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Oh I totally agree the game is a blast online. Like I said, at the time I wasn't sure what happened. I would like to see some real proof about this gameshark online code stuff as well.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Well,I visit the gameshark forums from time to time.As I understand it,the code was there at release but quickly pulled because of the potential for cheating online.There is still an AI code and another I cant remember .Its great for you guys that play online,but not so great for us honest folks who cant get online and just want some revenge on the computer :angry: Damn FatCat mission is kicking my ass!I just want revenge!Please give me a code! I cant even play online to begin with!:frowning:

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
How does gameshark work by creating cheats that never exist in the programming?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Because you're hacking memory - you can physically change the code of the game using the GameShark.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Cheating sucks...this is one of the reasons I have not gone online yet (that and I have run Cat 5 to my living room :D ). Hopefully something can be done about this.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Yea cheating sucks,but onlywhen you use it against other s who cant defend themselves just so you can win.I just want to do a little ass kicking Rambo style.The computer has it coming. ;) I mean whats the point in unlocking all those cool weapons if you have to be silent in just about all the missions? With inf. health Id bust out the Ak and Eagle and itd be go time :D
Luis S

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
How does gameshark work by creating cheats that never exist in the programming?
To clarify, it goes into memory and changes values

For example, you give it a memory address that contains the value for "lives" and tell it to keep it at a certain number with a code, voila, infinite lives

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks