SOCOM: let the cheats begin?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_Brown, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

So was it just a matter of time before online playing began to see the rise of the cheaters? I don't have any first hand knowledge yet, but I've been hearing some whispers lately that codes are popping up that make online playing less and less attractive. Mostly that the killing of opponents is becoming more difficult.

Anyone know if there is any truth to this? Guess I was hoping that the set up of the game wouldn't allow SOCOM to turn into another Unreal cheat festival.

2. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

the only way cheats could be used is if the programmers put cheat codes in the game. So yell at them.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Nope, Joshua. Thanks to the wonderful GameShark tool, it's possible for people to cheat in pretty much any game released so far. There were SOCOM cheats/hacks using the GS right as SOCOM was released.

The Gameshark acts as a 'memory editor' - basically you can edit the code/memory of any program running on the PS2.

4. Dave_Brown

I don't see where I was yelling at anyone?[​IMG] Just curious if there was any more information out there or not. But thanks for playing.....

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I'm not convinced that there are any Codeshark cheats for SOCOM. There are rumors, but no codes. Just do a search. You'll find plenty of discussions and supposed "first-hand acconts," but you won't find the codes.

There are glitches in which people can fall behind a wall or box and you can't se them but they can see you, but that's a bug, not a Codeshark cheat. It's also pretty easy to figure out if someone is doing that cheat and vote them off.

6. Dave_Brown

Right, except I don't think you can vote members of the opposing force off, right? Lagging is a pain and I know that can make it tough at times.

7. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

One time I dropped a guy with a claymore, I then emptied around 10 rounds in him as he got up at point blank. He didn't die. I attributed it to lag at the time, but now I wonder (he didn't seem like he was lagging and the claymore did drop him and I did get killed right after).

8. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Ryan: I've had weird things like that happen to me as well, but things retunred to normal in the next round, which led me to think it was a weird happenstance.

Who knows. The game is still more fun than I've ever had playing online.

9. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Oh I totally agree the game is a blast online. Like I said, at the time I wasn't sure what happened. I would like to see some real proof about this gameshark online code stuff as well.

10. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Well,I visit the gameshark forums from time to time.As I understand it,the code was there at release but quickly pulled because of the potential for cheating online.There is still an AI code and another I cant remember .Its great for you guys that play online,but not so great for us honest folks who cant get online and just want some revenge on the computer [​IMG] Damn FatCat mission is kicking my ass!I just want revenge!Please give me a code! I cant even play online to begin with![​IMG]

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    How does gameshark work by creating cheats that never exist in the programming?

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Because you're hacking memory - you can physically change the code of the game using the GameShark.

13. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Cheating sucks...this is one of the reasons I have not gone online yet (that and I have run Cat 5 to my living room [​IMG] ). Hopefully something can be done about this.

14. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Yea cheating sucks,but onlywhen you use it against other s who cant defend themselves just so you can win.I just want to do a little ass kicking Rambo style.The computer has it coming. [​IMG] I mean whats the point in unlocking all those cool weapons if you have to be silent in just about all the missions? With inf. health Id bust out the Ak and Eagle and itd be go time [​IMG]
    Luis S

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer