Socks on Mirage Msi speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil_S, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

Hello.. this is for anyone who has owned Mirage Msi speakers.
    Due to an unfortunate accident involving a candle above the left speaker, I need to remove the sock from my M7si speaker and clean it. I can get the bottom base off the speaker and untie the bottom portion of the sock but I can't figure out how to get the top off. Before I do any damage I would like to know the procedures.
    Has anyone replaced or cleaned the socks on any of the Msi series speakers? How did you get the top off?
    Thanks for the help,
    Neil
    ------------------

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I took the top off a store demo. I just pulled up on it. It had those little round pegs similar to what holds the grill on a coventional speaker.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hmmm, I've never removed my socks, (and god do they smell [​IMG] ), but it isn't supposed to be to tough to do. You might remove them both and try washing them by hand with Woolite before you buy another pair from Mirage parts.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on August 23, 2001 at 08:06 PM]

4. johnM

johnM Auditioning

It's been about 7 years since I got my M-5si but if I remember correctly the top just popped on as mentioned above. Mirage has a pretty responsive customer service group. You might try e-mailing them from the Mirage website. They have responded quickly to several of my questions in the past.
    Keep us posted. I have often wondered about getting these off if I ever needed to. Mine are a little faded. I wonder how much new ones would cost?

5. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the help... I got the socks off and all cleaned up. They look good as new (Do you realize how hard it is to get candle wax out of speaker cloth?!?).
    The tops of the speakers did just pop off but it took a little prying. It was just enough force to make me nervous if I didn't know that is how it worked.
    Here are the procedures:
    Lay the speaker down. Remove the nuts from the speaker wire posts and remove the wires. Use a hex wrench to remove the hex bolts from the base (there are two on the M7si). Untie the strings at the base of the socks.
    Pry off the top and untie the strings. Roll the sock off the speaker.
    The socks are basically tubes of cloth with cinch strings on either end.
    The process is not too difficult and now I know how to get them off and clean them!
    I e-mailed Mirage about the cost of a replacement. For the M7si the cost is $34.72 a piece +$5.00/shipping. Not too bad. For about $75 you can make you speakers look brand new!
    Thanks for all the help,
    Neil
    ------------------