What's new

Soap Season 4 (1 Viewer)

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
Any Ideas when they will release this?
I can't wait.

This is one of the greatest shows of all time.

Even any rumors would be great.
Any info at all

Pavan_P

Second Unit
If I were to guess, it'll be 10 months after S3, so...November, maybe? Between S1 and S2 was 10 months, between S2 and S3 was 6 months, so I guess if the pattern holds, we'll get it in 10 months this time.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
It makes sense for Benson to be released,since it's a Soap spinoff which ran for seven years,and earned Robert Guillame an emmy.

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator
The Fourth Season release would allow Sony to rectify a huge omission from the season sets, by finally including the wrap-up shows presented before some of the season premiers. While the shows were not standard Soap episodes, they not only contain great clips, but some new content as well, such as the great exchanges between Burt and Jessica which aired before the second season.

Another great bonus would be the 1 or 2 episodes of Benson in which Jessica appeared.

The wrap-up shows are a natural bonus feature, and, in already existing, do not entail any new interviewing, editing, etc. They should have been included all along, but what would you expect from a company which issues 4 edited episodes in its first season release of Soap.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I think the final set should be used to make up the mistakes made in previous sets. Sort of an errata section.

If this were a Doctor Who set, there'd be an Easter Egg containing the 3 frames that were accidentally left out of a previous release.

I'd like to see the missing 'On the last episode of Soap' bits from Season One, and also the missing scenes for the episode(s) where the syndicated version was accidentally used (also only on Season One as far as I am aware).

This would take up a relatively small amount of space.

I don't expect them to pay for musical rights that they've already decided they didn't want to pay for the first time.

I don't know why they just can't show the scenes with the sound missing, rather than cutting the whole thing.

And aren't they allowed 2 seconds for free?

They could've given us the 'mute' scenes, but with 2 seconds of audio audible.

Then on the next season, as a bonus, they could've given us the same 'mute' scene but with the next 2 seconds of audio.

And so on.

I too would like to see the inter-season clip shows. But that's an awful lot to put on as a bonus. It's easily an extra disc. Although the previous releases had a lot of blank space on the last disc, if I remember correctly.

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
I see on TVShowsonDVD.com that is has been announced as October 11th. This is great.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Wow -- a Columbia/Sony series that actually gets finished. Who'd've thunk.

Season 4 was a disappointment in many ways; for the first time, Susan Harris brought in new writers and decreased her involvement, and the result was some very bad and out-of-character storylines for characters like Jodie and Danny. Also, Harris took Diana Canova (Corinne) off the show to put her in another sitcom, and that hurt the show even more than the loss of Benson. (Benson was funny, but he wasn't essential because he wasn't really involved in the storylines; whereas Corinne was always a key character in the soap-opera plotlines.) By the time Harris tried to get the show back on track, it was too late to save it from cancellation.

Still, I want season 4 to complete my collection -- even though we'll never really know how the series would have ended.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just finishes Soap Season 4.

Wasn't there something somewhere, where the producers mentioned how Season 5 would have played out.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I've never heard any word, anywhere, from the producers and/or writers about how Season 5 would have played out. I guess Jessica did die, though, because she appeared as a ghost on Benson a little while later.

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
Jessica's death is still up for debate. They recently ran the "ghost" episode of Benson on TV Land. In it, Jessica's spirit spends the entire episode trying to do a good deed in order to gain her wings/get into heaven. With Benson's help, she manages to do so, but at the end of the show, when Benson asks if this is really goodbye, she smiles and tells him no—that's she's still alive somewhere in South America (in a coma, if I recall correctly).

That didn't make a whole lot of sense, and I can only guess that it was a last minute script change by the producers to keep the door open for Jess's possible return. Or maybe it was just a case of good-intentioned, but sloppy, storytelling.

Still, I was really hoping that that particular Benson episode would be a bonus feature on the Season Four set of Soap, if only because it's wraps up (or attempts to wrap up) the most important cliffhanger of the series finale.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Does anyone know if there are any edits to these episodes? I can't seem to find any references to edits anywhere.

I would also like the same information for Season 3 (and 2) because I'm going through my old VHS tapes and want to digitize anything missing from the DVDs.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Yes, there are many syndicated cuts complained about jmuch on these forums and some flashback episodes are missing.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein

I can't find any of these complaints on these forums that you mention.

The only references I can find in numerous places are the Season One cuts:
2 songs from Episode 2
Syndicated version of episodes 16 & 17
Recaps missing from 19

And the mention of the recaps missing from all (but one) of Season 4.

Also several mentions of "I'll have to check my Columbia House tapes," but no follow-up posts or episode numbers.

Please provide links to the threads you mention.

Thanks

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Don't forget that all the last 10 episodes are presented in the half-hour form and are missing some footage, whereas the Columbia House versions are the uncut hourlong ones.

Seasons 2 and 3 seem to be okay on the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks