Soap operas

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bern Bennett: "Join us again...for The Young...and the Restless."
And when I was growing up, invariably followed by this:

(has Don Robertson on CBS ID after CPT 80s Coke Lady)

or this...

(CPT 1988/CBS ID)

or even this...

(CPT 1993 w/1988 jingle/ 1992 CBS ID)

Reactions: MatthewA
Real Name
daniel
Same thing with Bern Bennett on Y&R, Jay Stewart/Don Morrow on Sale of the Century, Don Pardo on SNL and Mel Brandt on The Doctors.

Sa5150

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
steve
I read that Dynasty was remastered in HD and aired on something called CW Seed , Not available to watch anymore :( . What are the chances for long over due blu-rays of this highly popular show from the 80's ? It would be amazing since it was recorded on 35mm film Panavision lenses . The dvds looked pretty dull even up-converted . I'm really surprised that Dallas has not been in HD in any form . Anyone have any news on the original Dallas , That giant dvd box is OOP , 57 dvds collection would take up a lot of shelve space . There are some youtube clips that i'm surprised how good it looks but that is viewing on my pc monitor . Once played on a large screen OLED I doubt it will look that good .

Reactions: MatthewA
Real Name
daniel
Just like Don Robertson was just as much the integral part of CBS Sports (being the announcer) as Brent Musburger, Irv Cross, Phyllis George, Pat Summerall, John Madden and Jim Nantz have been (IIRC).
Mel Brandt would be another one; he was as much a part of The Doctors (being the announcer) than any of the actors. And when we talk about soap organists, Clarke Morgan was as much a part of Another World, simply for his contributions at the organ in the 60s.....

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this up: user Edwyn Sanchez has come up with a V/O-free version (clean version) of the 1981-87 closing theme music from Another World...

Reactions: JamesSmith

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's actually quite pretty, and seems to evoke a feeling of hope. Okay. I'm being schmaltzy.
--jthree
That seems to be a pretty good source while the concurrent As the World Turns and Guiding Light themes on that same channel were obviously put together from multiple sources. You can tell because of the constant changes in high frequencies and broadband noise. The difference is that Another World used Score Productions and they seem to have a better survival rate for archival-quality V/O-free masters than Elliott Lawrence Productions, the company that handled the music for the two CBS soaps. Years ago, I read an article saying that the building they were located in was demolished, and the original audio tapes went with them.

Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The difference is that Another World used Score Productions and they seem to have a better survival rate for archival-quality V/O-free masters than Elliott Lawrence Productions, the company that handled the music for the two CBS soaps.
Looked up Score Productions on Wikipedia, and it seems that GL might have been from them as well (I think that a latter-year theme might have used that outfit, whereas the 80s music was from Elliot Lawrence).

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Both of them have also done animated cartoons. Score did Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers and the "Itchy and Scratchy" theme on The Simpsons, also set in a fictional Springfield, while Elliott Lawrence Productions did the Ruth Buzzi version of The Berenstain Bears that aired on CBS.

Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here is audio from a demo record from Score Productions (contains excerpts [not the full music] of a lot of things from that outfit, including Another World [70s theme w/kaleidoscope wreath, not the 80s one shown above]):

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this up: here, from KING Channel 5 (NBC in Seattle, WA), is an almost 2-hr. block of game shows and soaps from Fri. Sept. 19, 1980; includes Password Plus, Card Sharks, and the serials The Doctors and DOOL (the latter serial in a partial form until the end of the clip, a little over 10 min. of that, I think):

Reactions: Ron Lee Green

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ketoburni