What's new

Soap Classics losing rights to Guiding Light and As The World Turns (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
What upsets me is that Soap Classics knew that the window of opportunity of buying the DVD sets was limited in the first place, they should have come out and said so! In not doing so, a lot of people got cheated. Thank God I have my Christmas in Oakdale set to watch for this holiday season!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm sure Soap Classics knew that the original DVD license agreement was only for a year but perhaps they assumed that it would be renewed. There has still been no real explanation as to what happened. Low Sales? Customers should definitely have been told further ahead of time that the discs might be in limited supply. As soon as i received the email about the low stock I ordered everything that I didn't already have and was able to get them all.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
I came across this set on eBay - 5 discs of Guiding Light episodes from the late 70s released in Germany (R2). Unfortunately, despite the free shipping it's a bit pricey for me:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVD-R2-THE-GUIDING-LIGHT-VOLUME-1-1979-Lenore-Kasdorf-Irna-Phillips-TV-Classic-/310509118888?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item484bc925a8

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Never Heard of That Set Before. Not Sure How Legitimate It Is. Those are some really early episodes. Maybe the earliest ones that actually exist. Perhaps someone besides P&G control the show in other countries.
In any event, it's a Region 2 release. Unless you live in the UK or have a region-free DVD player then you're out of luck.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
It also can be found on Amazon Germany for about $38.36 with shipping. Amazon.com imports it for about $55.
http://www.amazon.de/Die-Springfield-Story-Staffel-Guiding/dp/B007RU6JI8/ref=lh_ni_t
I think it's legit - they also have several Bold and the Beautiful sets (produced by the same company) that seem to match the ones sold here and in Australia. I have a region-free player just so I could get shows that are more complete in foreign releases, or not released in the U.S.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
I bought it. It is a legit set. This set is 25 episodes from Fall 1979 (aired in 1981 in Germany), covering Roger's planning to return to Springfield (after his plastic surgery), Rita's affair with Dr. Greg Fairbanks and her discovery that she's pregnant and not sure if Dr. Fairbanks or Ed is the father, Lucille Wexler's attempts to manipulate Amanda and Ben, Alan's divorce from Jackie and relationship with Hope, and Mike's continuing involvement with Elizabeth (who is married to Justin). The picture is a little soft, which I ascribe to a videotaped program converted to PAL but utterly watchable. The same company has put out several sets of Bold and the Beautiful, so hopefully there will be more GL coming in the future.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, let's hope with the online revival of AMC and OLTL, P&G will have the sense to put out new stuff- this time from other shows in its archives. Speaking of revivals, what if someone bought the rights to ATWT for its own online (or syndicated) revival?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks