What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Screaming during the ballet is pretty gauche. Having been to some live TV show tapings, I wouldn't be surprised if the producers encourage the behavior though. The fact they keep the mics on means they want it as part of the live show presentation, so ultimately I blame the show producers more than the audience (which does seem pretty heavily populated with teenage girls).

Me too, but not because of the dancers but because of the screaming. Last year, they seemed to turn the crowd mics off, but this year they are back up and in full volume. Half the time you can't even hear the music. They were actually screaming during a ballet for crying out loud. Who in their right mind screams at people dancing? And God forbid if there is ANYTHING sexual in the dance. It's like a crowd of preteens. Utterly ridiculas.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jose - is dead man dancing at the moment on the show, his 2 numbers were average at best tonight.

Adechike - was somewhat good in both number, but not great in either number, just missing it by a little bit, but he's improving.

Robert - sort of fumbled the flip with Kathryn in his first number, but was solid in the bollywood pairing with Billy. I was still to distracted by Kathryn to really pay much attention to Robert in the first number.

Billy - had a strong first number, and kept up for the most part in the bollywood number with Robert. His first number was head-n-shoulders the best number of the night.

Kent - still gave too much face in the cha cha, and I don't really feel his ballroom is ground enough. The 2nd number being broadway played to his strength, and he did leave Jose in the dust.

Lauren - they might as well gave her and Allison a cheerleader number, it was a bit uninspired. She was solid in the ballroom number with Adechike. Let's hope she won't get cut due to her injury tonight.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, it's too bad Billy got lumped in with Jose.

So two weeks left and we have Adechike, Robert, Kent and Lauren. I'm not super enthused about any of them, but I would say Lauren has the most potential for universal appeal. I still see Robert as goofy / gawky and Kent is too one-dimensional, needing a bit more time to mature. I don't get much of an impression from Adechike, good or bad. The one number I remember of his was the hip hop with Lauren G. and that seems to have been his high point in the competition.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I feel that Robert got Billy's spot in the top 4 with this week's votes because Robert just isn't as polished at this point in the season, but has been getting pimped so hard by the judges who don't even mention his minor technical screw-ups, and he hasn't really shown me that he's an artist yet, unlike Billy who, when paired with the right choreography, can elevate the material he's been given (he had a slow start of it by being in weird genres of dance early on, but when he's in the zone, he could keep your attention throughout the number. Robert, not so much).

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I feel that Robert got Billy's spot in the top 4 with this week's votes because Robert just isn't as polished at this point in the season, but has been getting pimped so hard by the judges who don't even mention his minor technical screw-ups, and he hasn't really shown me that he's an artist yet, unlike Billy who, when paired with the right choreography, can elevate the material he's been given (he had a slow start of it by being in weird genres of dance early on, but when he's in the zone, he could keep your attention throughout the number. Robert, not so much).
Do they always pimp contestants this hard? Maybe they did the same thing last year with Russell but I didn't notice so much because of Kathryn? I thought it was pretty funny to hear Nigel tell Robert a week ago that he had stopped growing....but then this week say the exact opposite.

I thought Billy had the best week by far, so was sorry to see him go. I'm no expert but he seems to me to be the best technically of the bunch

Janiece805

Auditioning
Real Name
Janine Smith
billy should have stayed adechike should have gone home he has grown the least and has no performance or emotional connection with his partners and hes dances are only just average nothing amazing in them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Lauren - had 2 strong performances tonight, the tango was really good, totally commanded my attention and kept me with them throughout the number. The jazz number was fun, though her outfit would have been better if she was in skin-tight pleather, and not that skin-tight black outfit.

Adechike - never seems to connect with the audience, lots of jumping around, but didn't quite include the audience in either number. He did run out of gas in the 2nd number, and Kathryn still commanded my attention throughout the dance as she really knows how to sell the dance.

Robert - continues to get pimped by the judges, felt his waltz was okay, not amazing. The hip-hop theatre was solid, but don't think he outdanced Domenic.

Kent - was physically not suited for all the disco tricks, so it wasn't anywhere near even above average compared to other disco numbers in the past. The contemporary didn't really move me like it did the judges, only because it was either too on-the-nose, or I thought Neil was outdancing Kent throughout the number.

The judges were hoping to send Adechike with their comments, but then Adechike pulled out the "appreciative tears" card to play. Rooting for Lauren, but Kent's fan base might be too hard to overcome next week.

Janiece805

Auditioning
Real Name
Janine Smith
no i think adechikes fan base will be to hard to overcome, never in the bottom, america votes not only cuz they think he is amazing but because they think the judges are to mean to him.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I agree with Janiece...I think we're in for a "surprise" with Adechike staying, and Lauren going home. I hope I'm wrong.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You were SO wrong. :)

I guess the judges finally rubbed off on the voters.

Lauren's tango was definitely the highlight of the evening. Truly mesmerizing, and for once unspoiled by teenage girl screaming.

Her outfit in the jazz number looked better when she was standing still and when in a medium shot that showed the detail (I'm assuming they were going for a web motif to go with the black widow character). From a distance and in motion it looked more like a cheesy Frederick's of Hollywood lace body stocking.

Janiece805

Auditioning
Real Name
Janine Smith
W00T! I'm so happy i was wrong! Robert Deserves it, he has show he can do everything they have thrown at him. i personally believe Kent is not as well rounded as Robert, with a Alex out i think Lauren and Robert are the best all around dancers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The judges really went out of their way to be really supportive of the finalists tonight, with just teensy bits of critiques, and lots of love.

Kent - had the night's best number with Alyson, but 3 other average numbers, with the bollywood number being oddly performed as it was more of a mash-up.

Lo Fro - had 2 solid numbers with Robert and Pascha, and 2 okay numbers. Her Latin number oozed sex appeal coupled with some complicated lifts.

Robert - had a dynamic number with Kathryn and a solid number with Lo Fro, but the other 2 were okay.

At this point, if I had a vote, it'd probably go to Lo Fro, but I'm okay with either Kent or even Robert (he did improve the most this season) winning it all.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I thought Lauren was incredible in that last routine. She has moved me away from picking Kent as my personal winner to picking Lauren, then Kent, then Robert. It's like one of the judges said... to this untrained eye, that looked exhibition level. And she was hot. It especially caught me off guard because I was noting to myself that I really like contemporary dancing as it has the ability to move me most (the pillow routine), but then the ballroom routine comes along. It doesn't move me like a contemporary routine does, but wow. That girl is something else as a dancer.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That Lauren/Pasha dance was the best non-Alex Wong routine this season. I gasped at a couple of the tricks -- and for me, gasping is the highest form of praise. But Lauren's not going to win because she is the best dancer, and the best dancer never wins.

Kent will still win, even though he was easily the weakest dancer of the night. But he cried... so it's all over now. Frankly, I got zero chemistry or connection between Kent and Allison, and that whole routine didn't do anything for me. Lauren and Robert's pillow dance was miles better in my book. And just as Nigel was about to point out how Kent's lack of upper body strength translates into his consistently poor job with lifts, he pulled back and said he did a good job here. But that's not true -- those lifts with Allison looked really clumsy, and there's always a pause before he sets down his partner.

Kent also failed at Bollywood -- he lost so much steam half way through that he lost all the bounce in his movement, and it looked heavy compared to Lauren G. I love how the producers and contestants wink at Kent's sexuality even though he proclaims that he likes girls (although I'm sure he likes them for their votes). This week, the story for the Bollywood routine was about a guy who doesn't want to marry a girl, which, in context, is funny already, but when Lauren G asked him during rehearsal, "why don't you want to marry me?", I yelled out, "because you have a vagina!" That guy on guy tango was atrocious -- perhaps the worst non-Jose routine of the season. The jazz routine was slack, but Mandy Moore seems to good/great or terrible with few stops in between. She has choreographed a lot of boring stuff over the years.

Robert was in the middle for me. He's a better dancer than Kent, but who's watching Robert when Kathryn is commanding so much attention or Mark is outdancing him? Speaking of which, nice ripping off Sonya Tayeh there, Tyce. Between this and his Broadway swipes, does he have an original bone in his body? Robert was to loose here -- Mark danced it way better.

And Kathryn -- ay yi yi! I think she's the hottest dancer ever on the show. She's surpassed Allison for me this season.

So congrats Kent, but I hope I'm wrong. Will talent actually out this season? I'm leaning towards... no.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Kathryn's very hot, no doubt, but her number with Robert made her legs look so short, it was almost comical.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

Kent will still win, even though he was easily the weakest dancer of the night. But he cried... so it's all over now. Frankly, I got zero chemistry or connection between Kent and Allison, and that whole routine didn't do anything for me.

Agreed. If you compare Kent's dramatic performance, which is to say the emotion on his face, to that of Allison, it was night and day. Allison had looks of genuine anguish and pain, while Kent looked like he was passing a stone.

Also, am I alone in thinking Kent is a few lines of resolution short of 1080p? I don't want to use the term "slightly mentally handicapped," so I'll just say that he comes off as utterly surprised and befuddled at EVERYTHING. When the judges are talking, he gets this "I'm so confused" look on his face, and is constantly gazing out into the audience, as though there is something shiny ten rows back. Sure, I'll grant that listening to the judges is usually like watching paint dry, but come on, at least look slightly engaged.

Lauren should win, but Ket will win. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Highlights for me from this season:

- Robert and Kathryn -- Stacey Tookey's "Heaven is a Place on Earth" routine

- Billy and Ade - Stacy Tookey's "Mad World/Homeless & Businessman" routine

- Lauren and Pasha - Tony and Melanie's "Not Myself Tonight" cha-cha-cha

- AdeChike and Comfort - Tabitha and Napolean's "Fallin'" lyrical hip-hop

- Robert and Allison - Travis's "Fix You" routine

- Alex and Twitch - Tabitha and Napoleon's "Outta Your Mind" hip-hop

- every single routine with Anya or Pasha in it

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
The thing that really impresses me about Lauren is that when you see her talking or being interviewed, she comes off as your every day young kid. Reminds me a lot of Mollee from last season. Unlike Mollee however, Lauren dances like a seasoned adult. Her ballroom dance with Pasha last night was unbelievable.

Kent's appeal is mystifying to me. He comes off as such a goof, even when dancing, that I don't get why all the teenage girls scream for him so much. He only has one persona. The aw-shucks goofball. Even when he does the "serious" dances, all I see is a total spastic goof.

Anyhow, I really think Lauren deserves to win but won't be surprised when Kent wins.

Of course, the true winner should have been Alex. I still have his hip hop routine with Twitch saved on my TiVo

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm hoping Lauren wins, but like everyone else, I think Kent will win. Kent's goofball act doesn't bother me, but he really isn't on the same level as a dancer as Lauren or Robert.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Agree with everyone. Lauren is the more talented. Her ability to go from her girly "resting state" to the womanly persona on stage is impressive. As is her consistency, which I'm glad Mia pointed out.

Kent - as well as Robert - could stand to learn a few things from Lauren. I don't have a problem with them being goofy and earnest as people, but their performances should be more than just themselves.

I expect Kent to win, but hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks