What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 11 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
As I wrote above, I think Cyrus is fun to watch--and quite good--in his preferred style. I would agree with Cameron that part of Cyrus' likeability comes from the fact that he acknowledged the realities of his limitations in other styles, and appeared to genuinely want to learn about and better himself in other forms of dance.

If you like that robotic style, with small isolations, Cyrus is your man.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I loved Dragon House. I about fell off my couch when Blue danced; great choice of music and choreography with masterful technique. Red, my least favorite of the three, but still good to watch. But Cyrus knocked me out. I thought he was great at what he did, but additionally a brilliant performer. Yes, I was consistently surprised he got as far as he did in the contest -- he does "animation" and that's it. If that arguable weakness of SYTYCD particularly frustrates you, I think it will diminish Cyrus further in your view.And complete agreement the Czech chick is great. I want to see more. The puppet guy was fun, clever. (Though not re watchable like the animators, to me)But the idea that Cyrus is just mediocre at what he does...no way. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Jaja needs to clean up her isolations, but she's so thoroughly entertaining I didn't mind. And the puppeting guy is otherworldly with his movements. But Cyrus is so small and barely moves in space. I just don't get anything from it. I also never got the Exorcist guy.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So Sideshow was kicked out of Dragon House because of his behavior (caused by "overstress" per his Facebook page). I'm assuming he was ejected weeks ago but could only share it after the episode aired because of non-disclosure agreements.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Well, at least his outburst got him a lot of screen time and attention. His dancing was shrug-worthy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ATL Cranking was fun, but didn't do anything for me.

Male dancer, Ricky Ubeda, (spotlighted about halfway through) is perhaps my favorite so far. I saw the mixture of dance skill and stage presence that could win the competition. He reminded me of everything I loved about Melanie. I hope he is that good through the rest of the competition.

Angelina Granitz is a conundrum. In person she's a perfect straight man; you might think she's a bit off. Then she dances, and a different soul emerges. She isn't an obvious winner, but her performance was good and she's an intriguing personality.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Angelina is one of my favourite girls so far, along with Jenna Scaccia and Jessica Richens.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ricky Ubeda gave one of these best solos I've seen. He's gorgeous and intense. That was a show-winning solo, just for Top 20 auditions. My favorite to win, so far.

And if he's doing his own choreography, he could be the next Travis Wahl.

Jessica struggled with hip-hop, but danced for her life and stayed through.Emilio --the poor fellow hurt and forced to drop out of last years top 20 -- is back and again in the top 20.Ya Ya gave an awesome Dance For Her Life...but she lacks the broader skills to compete with the top 20.http://youtu.be/xTVORToPOm4Landon --former partner to Jenna, and rising star--apparently fizzled in solo.Adorkable Angelina Granitz is missing without a trace. Did she pull out of Hollywood after being passed through?I look forward to seeing more of Marquet and the other black dancer (the really slim fellow).Those are my standouts. I'm ready for the actual competition!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The group competition always seemed like a gimmick designed more for creating drama than determining any real skills used for the competition. I guess the biggest test is an attitude and teamwork thing, but I think that only comes out on occasion.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I speculate it's to push them to exhaustion and see who can still dance and behave suitably for TV.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm of the opinion that it's completely staged. The dancers are cast based on references and the whole audition process is a sham. Maybe they find a couple here and there, but by and large, everyone on the show seems to know someone. Even all of the "untrained" dancers have connections.

Don't get me wrong -- the cast is immensely talented, and I love watching the show. But I'm dubious as to how much of this is necessary for anything other than "making good TV".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think you have be "in the scene" having dedicated half your life to dance to be versatile enough for this show's requirements for dance skills.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hanson said:
I'm of the opinion that it's completely staged. The dancers are cast based on references and the whole audition process is a sham. Maybe they find a couple here and there, but by and large, everyone on the show seems to know someone. Even all of the "untrained" dancers have connections.

Don't get me wrong -- the cast is immensely talented, and I love watching the show. But I'm dubious as to how much of this is necessary for anything other than "making good TV".
You think everyone cast for Top 20 was pre-selected before nationwide auditions, and they know it? The entire process of kicking out 200 dancers at Hollywood is theatrics (or perhaps a cruel hoax on people who never had a chance and didn't know it?)

I won't say you're wrong. It is possible.

But lacking any evidence, I choose not to be that cynical about a show I find so positive :)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Tremendous episode tonight: maybe the best "intro" live episode ever. I'm glad to see Jessica lived up to my expectations. Ricky was a pleasant surprise.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My two favorite dancers and one of my favorite choreographers.

Travis Wall. Love his dances

There are no bad dancers in this top 20. In past years, there have been concessions to the show, allowing specialized dancers like Cyrus to proceed far beyond their skills. This year, it seems everyone is very good.

Have they paired them by speciality before, in the first round, so that everyone gets at least one great dance to their strengths?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I find Teddy and Casey annoying, but I'm sure the 13-year olds like them.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Jessica is indeed a very high level dancer with more than enough technique and performance that you don't feel like you're only rooting for her because she's hot. I mean, totally hot. But Ricky is on a whole other level - he may be the best contemporary dancer they've ever had on the show. It was obvious from the auditions that he was technically outstanding, but what he did with that performance is already legendary. Short of some cute boi coming out of the woodwork becoming a fan favorite, I can't see how Rickey loses this thing, like when Travis lost to Benji or Danny lost to Sabra (perhaps the biggest wtf in the show's history). Rickey is flat out way better than everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks