What's new

So you get asked this question all the time... (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The question I get is: "Will you read my book/screenplay/query letter/outline/synopsis/cover letter?"

My answer is no. Always. And I have more than one good reason.

My friends like to give my name to their friends and say I will get their movie made. I can't even get my own movie made. How the hell am I supposed to get a complete stranger's movie made?

And people actually think they are doing me a favor by offering to let me spend hours and hours reading their (usually awful) scripts. If you go to my FB page, you will see the following:

"Imagine that you worked hard at a job for many years, and one day you retired because you didn't want to do that job anymore. Now imagine that every week your friends ask you to not only start doing that job again, but they expect you to do it for free. They even think they are doing you a favor by asking you to work for free.

"I can't read your book or script. If I did, and the studio later developed a project like it, I could be opening myself--and the studio--to a lawsuit. If I even open an email from you that contains story material, regardless of whether or not I read it, the studio would be within their rights to fire me immediately for putting them in potential jeopardy.

"If you put my career at risk by sending me unsolicited material, you will see a side of me you have never seen before. And then you will not see me anymore. Ever. If you tell your friends I am connected and can connect them, I will immediately block you. And your friends.

"Don't test me. I know you believe your script is the greatest thing ever written. But I've read hundreds of scripts just like yours, and in all the years, I only recommended two. Yours will not be one of them."

And still I get messages from friends of friends because they think their script is the holy end-all be-all.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And still I get messages from friends of friends because they think their script is the holy end-all be-all.
Most people don't actually "read" anything any more...signs, emails, messages, notes, etc.

And if they do, they don't believe the content applies to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks