What's new

So yesterday I got my Voice over IP (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I set it up a few hours ago and everything is good. I had heard the sound quality might not be that good, especially when the internet is in use, and that it would slow down the connection. I'm not finding this overly much. The only hiccups I had were having to renew my IP and type in the name of my full mail server, rather than just shawmail, in my mail client.

I'm using BroadvoxDirect.com
$19.95 US includes all features and unlimited calling in Canada and the US. I see on the website that they are now advertising $29.95 for new signups, but I see on the webportal that my recurring charge is still $19.95.

It took a while to get the UPS box to me, as I work, and am unavailable during UPS business hours. It's been more than a month. The setup was easy, I turned everything off on my system, plugged in the box they sent me to my cable modem, network card, and phone. Powered on my modem, waited for it to acquire the network, and then plugged in and powered on the box. It took about 10 minutes for the box to cycle through all it's lights, and connect properly, so I just watched tv during that time.

I'm very happy so far, my voicemail comes to my email and I can play the wav file, or I can check it by dialing *123 on the phone.

The only issue I"m having is that for some reason my outgoing call display is not showing through. I'm going to have to call them about this, as I see nothing about this on their sites. Also, I'm curious as if I can pick my own numbers. There's a spot to do it, $4 cost, but don't want to 'continue' until I know that I can pick from a list.

All in all, I'm happy! My sprint service was costing me $65 for the same thing!

Just thought I'd share!

http://www.broadvoxdirect.com/default.aspx

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I read an article that said VOIP technology passed Nissan's road tests for use in their Infiniti models. :emoji_thumbsup:

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Not at all Richard. That's exactly why I got it, because Sprint was charging way too much. I slept in yesterday and couldn't call sprint to cancel so I'll have to do it in the morning.

While downloading heavy files, there is some minor signal breakup, but that's the only problem I see.

Service does depend on the quality of your broadband connection, Richard, so quality may vary. Give it a try: they have a money back guarantee. The box is kinda cheap feeling and looking, but whatever works!?

However, I should add that if your broadband connection is through Telus, you have to switch to Shaw, as you can not just subscribe to Telus high speed.

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator
In the States one can get Sunrocket for $199 (no taxes) for the year, including long distance, TWO numbers, VM, call waiting, three-way, etc. Call quality is mostly good. Occasional popping or echo, but very manageable.
In addition to hearing voice mail on the website, you can see complete call logs. Incoming, outgoing, etc. Search the AHL as I have seen one or two threads here about VOIP in general and Sunrocket.
Their website.

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

I have SunRocket and really like it. I had the annual plan last year and just renewed for another year. It's a great service that saves people a lot of money.

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Sunrocket sounds great for the price and all those features you list. Has anyone completely switched from a regular phone to using just sunrocket?

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Holy timewarp batman!

yes, I still have VOIP, except it is with Shaw now that they are offering their digital phone.

More expensive, but slightly better quality than the Broadvox, and apparently doesn't slow down the internet as much (although I don't personally notice a difference).

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I just installed SunRocketa few days ago. I'm transferring my old number to it so my landline is still here. Once transfer is done, I'll be dropping it.
As far as sound quality, like most people say, the party on the other side wouldn't know the difference until u tell them ur using VOIP. For $17/month with all the features, free domestic long distance, a free phone and a few minutes of free international long distance, its a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread