So ya wanna be a critic but don't actually wanna watch the film

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettB, Mar 20, 2002.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

In my searching the internet for all things E.T. I came across the Peter Travers review for the E.T. 20th Anniversary re-release.
    Towards the end of his short review he has this to say:
    It seems Mr. Travers was more interested in making politcal/social commentary than he was in watching some stupid 20 year old kiddie movie.
    I would submit to Mr. Travers that free speech is alive and well in 2002. What else could explain a film critic for a major magazine being paid large sums of money to write reviews of films he has not seen?
    (If it turns out that the line is in fact missing, I will return to this thread and offer my most sincere apologies to Mr. Travers.)

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well considering the fact that the terrorist line has been removed from the film for about 18 years, and was NOTHING, not even "hippie", I wonder about that aspect too. Is it that a new line has been inserted now?

Strange because everyone has been saying that "penis breath" has remained in.

3. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

E.T is not a kiddie movie, I am 16 and enjoy it very much. I want the uncensored version

4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I can cofirm that the "penis breath" line is still in the film. My friend went to the premiere.
    He hated all the changes and CGI enhancements, btw. He says the film is now ruined.[​IMG]

5. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

The "penis breath" line is still there. I saw it last night.

In one of those weird quirks, this is one of those huge films I had never really seen (aside from a P&S videotape probably 12 years ago).

The removal of the guns and the hippie/terrorist line change didn't really bother me watching it, and I wouldn't have even been aware of it except for the fuss made here and other places. (I think the complaints are justified from a standpoint of keeping films as they were than trying to jazz them up.) I had a good idea of what was "new", especially with the effects. That said, I didn't find that this ruined the movie, and if anything, these "improvements" don't make any difference one way or the other. Then again, your mileage may vary.

As for critics watching the film they're reviewing (or the whole thing), sadly I am aware of some who don't see anything wrong with reviewing a film if they haven't watched the whole thing. Sounds like Travers got tripped up in his own attempts to be clever.

6. BrettB

BrettB Producer