What's new

So who's NOT ready for the next hardware generation? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
On the Nintendo front, I just read that first party NES/SNES/N64 games will be downloadable for free. I have to say that I'm surprised at this, but that I'm also really looking forward to it. The only question now is which games will actually be available for download-there's a lot of potential here to disappoint. For example, will you be able to download Super Mario 64, even though it might eat into the DS version's sales? This move definitely means that Nintendo is losing some of its ability to rehash their back catalogue. On the other hand, I bet it'll sell more than a few consoles, since a large, free game library out of the box is a very attractive prospect.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Seeing as the Revolution isn't scheduled for release until next year, it will have negligible impact on sales of "Super Mario 64 DS". Accessibility to a back catalogue on the Revolution doesn't necessarily mean that Nintendo will be precluded from tapping into their archives for content on their handhelds. The portability factor will ensure continued software sales for handhelds, particularly when the consumer base is mostly comprised of kids (even if parents decide to install Revolution consoles in their minivans or SUVs).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's where Nintendo is losing their hold on me. I've owned NES, SNES, N64 and Cube (actually my apartment has all three, I own XBox/Cube, gf's bro owns PS2) but I've noticed the whole "first party" enticement of Nintendo has worn out over the years. Maybe I'm just getting old ;) but I think that Cube might be the last system I buy simply because of Nintendo's repertoire of first-party franchises. I hardly play it at all (and I do own Kart and Party 4-5). And unfortunately due to hardware considerations on the Cube, all of the 3rd party games I'm interested in are readily available on XBox so I buy those versions instead of the Cube.

Hey, I hope Nintendo succeeds as much as the next guy (nothing is as good for gamers as competition between the manufacturers) but I'm just posting my own experiences.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
PC and console gamers alike may want to keep June 21 circled on their calendars: nVidia will be hosting a launch event in San Francisco for their next-gen GPU. The reception will include hands-on product demonstrations and a Battlefield 2 LAN party. nVidia has hinted in the past that this GPU will be similar to the one used in the PS3 (which should make for some interesting comparisons on PC gaming forums).

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

This 'news' keeps getting repeated as gospel, but Nintendo haven't acutally came out & said their games will be free to download.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Last I read, EVERY first-party Nintendo game (most likely the second-party ones, like the SNES/N64 Donkey Kongs, too) will be available.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Yes, I know the 360 is using a regular DVD drive. I said they could use HD-DVD in the future.

There has been some talk, and it is certainly conceivable, that MS could make 360's at some point down the road with HD-DVD drives, or even make the release 360's where the disc drives could be swapped out, or offer the early buyers a trade back program to get a new 360 with HD-DVD drive.

It just seems a little to convenient that of all the companies that make HD displays, that MS teamed up with Toshiba to cross promote both companies products and agree on a cross-licensing agreement.

It could just be ironic, it could be that MS is eyeing something in the future.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I doubt they intend to do anything with the 360 and HD-DVD unless its a last minute thing before it launches. Making a newer model down the road with a drive for it built in wouldn't give them much of a benefit right now.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know if I were MS (and I'm not) I'd ship the 360 w/ HD-DVD drives anyway, even if they weren't going to make the games on HD-DVD discs. At the cost of production it would only add a few dollars per unit, and would pseudo-futureproof the 360 (assuming Blu-Ray doesn't win the format war) and would be a "bragging tool" even if the games didn't initially use HD-DVD discs.

I'm kind of surprised MS didn't do this.

Speaking of "not being ready for next gen..." I have a decision I'm currently struggling with, as of this morning's Best Buy ad...do I buy Forza for $39... :D

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

"only a few"? Any facts to back up this price prediction for HD-DVD drives vs existing DVD drives?

Neal_C

Second Unit
There is no way it would only add a couple bucks to the cost. Granted, the fact that HD-DVD didn't require a new fab process in the plants like Blu-Ray does help minimize the costs, but you are still talking about a new generation of technology.

New technology is expensive when it is first released because they have to make up the R&D expenses and overhead costs. Toshiba isn't going to eat money on a couple million new HD-DVD drives.

My guess would be that if the 360 with DVD-ROM is going to be around $300, then the addition of HD-DVD right now would ramp it up to atleast $400.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Both HD-DVD and Blu-ray use blue lasers, so changing the laser inside the unit is the only real change that would need to be made. As it stands, the PS3 can read Blu-ray discs, regular and burnable CDs/DVDs, and just about any other disc format you can think of. It's entirely conceivable it could also read HD-DVDs if it needed to.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Yes, they both use blue lasers, but Blu-Ray required new fab facilities whereas HD-DVD could basically use the same equipment and facilities as where in place for regular DVD. This kept HD-DVD overhead cost down compared to Blu-Ray, meaning HD-DVD could potentially be cheaper than Blu-Ray as well.

As it stands, there is no PS3 system running anything to do with Blu-Ray. All they have is a spec sheet saying what they might have in the unit.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Sorry, I don't. However, if you have a ruler, here are the actual dimensions of both consoles:

Xbox 360:
12.15" (W) x 3.27" (H) x 10.15" (D)
309 mm (W) x 83 mm (H) x 258 mm (D) (for metric users)
Weight: 7.7 pounds (3.5 kg)

Xbox:
12.6" (W) x 4" (H) x 10.2" (D)
320 mm (W) x 101 mm (H) x 260 mm (D) (for metric users)
Weight: 8.8 pounds (4 kg)

Here are links to pics of the Xbox 360 up-close:
Right side of the 360 (serves as base in upright position)
Rear of the 360 (pre-production model subject to revision, as ports haven't been finalized)
Rear of 360 showing single USB 2.0 and Ethernet ports and custom connector for external A/V pack
Top of 360
Top of 360 removed (no HDD in pre-production model, just a connector plate)
Copy of Game Informer magazine placed on the console to depict scale

Like the original Xbox, the analysts at UBS Securities estimate that if the 360 launches at ~US$300, Microsoft could incur a loss of ~$75 on each unit sold (based on a perceived manufacturing cost of ~$375 per console). Wistron, a contract manufacturer in Taiwan, will build 60 to 70% of the initial units.

The UK arm of Xbox.com is conducting a 360 faceplate survey; here's an opportunity to voice your opinion as to which faceplates could find their way into stores (here's the survey link). (I went with Aluminium, the only respectable colour scheme IMHO)

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
I voted for Aluminum also. Hopefully Game Stop will have them in at launch.

I also saw that the 360 will most likely sell for $300. This makes me very happy! :D

Brion

Evan M

Second Unit
All I know is I am buying one... let the poor schmuck who waits till Christmas Eve to try and buy one worry about the shortage potential :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS3 will play Blu-ray discs. They've been saying that for years. There is no reason to think it won't.

Regardless of the differences in production costs for the two media (Blu-ray and HD-DVD), you can still read both types with a blue laser in the same way you can read both a DVD and a CD with a red laser. The discs themselves are manufactured differently, but the way they're read is the same and done with the same laser, so the PS3 could feasibly read both media and be the only next-gen console to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks