So who's NOT ready for the next hardware generation?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Galindo, May 28, 2005.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Dont get me wrong, games like Killzone, rendered or not, looks spectacular.

But the XBox 360 doesnt really "step it up" as much as it could have. Ive been disappointed in the graphic quality so far...its definitely Xbox 1.5.

But even if they get those games looking awesome before launch, I still dont want a new system simply because the XBox is still going very strong...with games like GTA: SA, Half Life 2, Far Cry and Conker, I just want to keep my current XBox for the next year.

I remember with previous next-gen leaps, older systems were usually dead (like the N64). People were ready to move on. This is the first next-gen leap where the current systems still have quite a bit of life left in them, maybe 2 more years or so. Whats the big rush???

But maybe thats just me. [​IMG]

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I agree with you to a point.

What will really annoy me is if the 360 is not backwards compatible. I have quite a bit of Xbox games, and I heard that the 360 will run on a completely different rendering engine or something. I am definitely not going to be buying second copies of all my games just so i can play them on the 360.

What you said is true about older systems being dead. To be honest, I think the GC is pretty much dead. I haven't heard anything worthwhile about it for quite some time. On the other hand, Xbox is finally starting to settle in. Xbox live just recently got better, more and more games are coming out (hell, Halo 2 alone justifies this), etc. Why would Microsoft need a new one as soon as this winter. If it were mid 2006, then I would be satisfied. At least then they could take advantage of better technology (that apparently the PS3 will be).

Meh, it's just like Windows. You're going to need it sooner or later.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    i believe this was a rumor that was debunked in the X360 thread...

4. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Disappointed in the graphic quality? You are obviously comparing the fully rendered Killzone for the PS3 to the playable game demos of the Xbox360 Alpha development kits which have nowhere near the power of the final system. Sony has shown nothing of relevance so far except for a spec sheet.

The games will no doubt look almost identical in graphic quality on both systems as they are both very impressive when it comes to hardware specs.

I for one will be getting a Xbox 360 on launch day. I have been playing the Xbox since its launch in 2001 and haven't missed the PS2 that I had before the Xbox.

TeamXbox just reported in an interview with the MS corporate VP the other day that the Xbox 360 should come out with a price in the neighborhood of $300. This time, I doubt MS will be taking as much of a loss per unit (if any this time). I can't see Sony being able to match this price point when you have to factor in the R&D for the new Cell processor and Blu-Ray. And speaking of Blu-Ray, who is to say that will even be the next wave DVD disc? What if HD-DVD beats them to market and we have a format war? What if they merge?

I think MS is doing the right thing by launching 6 months ahead of Sony and with regular DVD instead of next-gen DVD. They keep their costs down, they don't have to worry about which format will win or what will happen in that area, their game developers have been working with DVD for years now so they aren't forcing them into a new technology yet, and MS could always build new Xbox's later on with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in them and offer some kind of trade up program or something like that.

MS will get a head start here by launching in three markets at one time.

Sony better hang on to their hats this time around.

5. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

Ditto, what Neal_C said. He is reporting the facts.

One thing I have to add is that Microsoft has said that they are working on a way to get ALL Xbox 1 games to work on the 360.

Brion

6. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Just the facts here, sir [​IMG]

Yes, the plan is for all Xbox games to be playable through emulation on the 360.

And yes, David, I believe you are the only one who wants to play the Xbox for another two years [​IMG]

Personally, I think there is to much time between consoles. 4 years with the Xbox will be enough for me. It is time for something new and better.

Microsoft needs a new console this winter to beat Sony to the punch. They have ground to make up. They want to be #1 and they have the money to do it. They had to prove themselves with the Xbox; now they feel comfortable in the market and can go at Sony head on.

7. David Galindo

Well, I think if I owned a 50 inch HDTV I would definitely be ready to move on to a 360. But I have a 36" Sony flat screen CRT, so I am unaffected with the HD announcements, sadly. [​IMG]

I really dont think it matters whos first out the door when it comes to hardware launches. Heck, next year would suit me fine. But this November? Thats a bit too soon for me.

And heres some interesting stuff from the man behind emulating Xbox on 360:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8357/M...Compatibility/

Seems like a fantasy to think ALL games would be backwards compatible...not that it matters anyways. Id just keep my XBox.

EDIT: I realize Killzone is likely fake compared to realtime playing 360 games. But those 360 games didnt impress me. Not compared to Killzone, but to current gen games. Im sure it will get better over time, but I likely wont get a 360 at launch. Perhaps next year.

8. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

David, have you checked out Gears of War or Elder Scrolls 4? They look pretty amazing.

Brion

9. David Galindo

Gears of War definitely looks fantastic, and Elder Scrolls 4, while not my kind of thing, looks great.

Gears of War wont come out till Summer 2006 though...which was kinda my point to begin with. [​IMG]

10. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

Sony may not even get to market 6 months after X360. I have read things about the Sony dev kits getting into developers hands around a year after they had access to X360 dev kits.

Maybe someone in the biz can confirm or deny this?

11. Fredster

Fredster Stunt Coordinator

Yet another thread to praise Microsoft and denigrate Sony?

Anyway, whenever Sony gets the PS3 out the door I'll be ready. We have a fortune in PS2 titles so it must be compatable, but the new HD games (and movies) will have a nice home on the 61" DLP.

12. David Galindo

"Yet another thread to praise Microsoft and denigrate Sony?"

Im looking forward to Sonys PS3 more than the 360, so Im not sure where that came from. [​IMG]

Anyways, it wouldnt surprise me if the PS3 was pushed back to late summer 2006.

13. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Why shouldn't Microsoft be praised?

To date, MS has lost 2 billion dollars with this gaming venture. Without MS and their Xbox and now the 360, there would be no one to push Sony to produce better consoles. Sony would be just like EA: no innovation. MS has forced the gaming industry to step up or get squashed in their wake.

14. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

Actually, Gears of War is going to be released in March of 2006.

Brion

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Actually, do you have a link giving a firm date? Epic have said 2006 & "summer 2006" at different times.

16. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

Well, I don't have a firm date but I do have a link to Game Stops website.

www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=200100

Plus, the latest Game Informer has it listed as coming out March 2006. And I believe that video going around of in game playing also says March 2006.

Brion

17. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

Here is an interview that may be of interest to some of you. J. Allard of Microsoft, head of Xbox development.

http://movies.teamxbox.com/xbox/e305...view_518_1.wmv

It's a good interview with no Sony bashing. He just explains why they made the decisions they did when designing the 360. Some discussion of how it applies to the early launch strategy, and the use of a DVD-ROM drive rather than HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

EDIT:

Linked below is a fascinating read on new patents granted to Microsoft pertaining to the X360 CPU. Allard touched on this stuff in his interview (above link,) but it was pretty vague compared to this:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...-1.ars/2?53611

You may also want to read this as a precursor:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050106-4506.html

18. Fredster

Fredster Stunt Coordinator

Oh, sorry - it was them other posts [​IMG]

I don't see how either of these systems are going to make their promised shipping dates.

XBOX 360 in particular, how this year when they don't even have the hardware yet (yeah, I know dev kits)? If they get this baby out the door in 2005, how good could the new games be without the time for proper testing and tweaking? How good will backward capability work? Emulating an XBOX on a new RISC architecture doesn't sound like a trivial task.

And has Sony so future proofed the PS3 that they will be sorting out Cell and BluRay issues well into 2006?

Let's not forget Nintendo. Okay, maybe we can forget Nintendo....

19. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I was just having this same discussion last night. As pumped as I am for the release of XBox 360, I'm just as pumped for the release of Burnout:Revenge in September. Seeing as I am still playing Burnout 3 about 9 months after it's release, if the next Burnout game lives up to my expectations, its forseeable that my first gen XBox could continue to get a workout WELL into 2006. But again, this doesn't mean I'm not pumped for 360. I am. But it clouds the issue somewhat. I've always been a guy who moved on to the bigger, better deal and this might be the first time a predecessor system still receives some play time after the release of its follow-up.

20. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I would be very surprised if MS doesn't hit their target release date. I am sure there is alot of pressure on the 360 department at MS to be sure they hit that date. They know that they have a golden opportunity here to stick it to Sony, especially launching in three territories.

I realize they have missed quite a few release dates pertaining to software, but since they dominate the market in that area, it really isn't all that critical to them to hit specific dates. They get so much flack these days, they would rather continue to tweak their OS's than get them out the door on time. Which is really fine by me.

But the gaming is a different beast. They aren't on top yet, but they want to be, so they will do everything they can to get there.

I'm sure the emulation project isn't a trivial task, but it will get done. They know backwards compatibility will be a must, so they will get it done.